Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a commercial electrician. I spend 8-10 hrs a day on my feet, on concrete mostly. I pull wire, haul pipe, up and down ladders,etc. I walk about 8-10 miles a day at my job covering all electrical needs everywhere needed.

I go fishing. Walk several miles on rocks, uneven ground and climb over fallen logs (sometimes under) to get to my "honey hole".

My wife wants to know why I can't last 45 minutes in the mall. :hmmm:

Man, I need to go fishing.

·
Over The Hill Gang Member
292 Posts
oldskool,
My wife used to insist on my going to the grocery store with her. So, when we would go to the store, I would wear athletic shoes of some sort and make it a point to step in a puddle on the way in. When we got into the store I would make every effort to make my shoes squeak as loud as possible on the linoleum floors. It was so embarrassing for her that I haven't been grocery shopping with her in over 27 years.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
Wait until your knees get a little older. You fish close to your ride. I fish close to my truck, but here in Montana I don't have to get far away to find fish. I have a few honey holes close to the road and to where I park. Or in the Summer I ride my Quad and I can park right along side of the river.

When you get older you have to plan fishing trips out. It saves on the knees. Oh, and when I shop with the wife, I sit in a bench until she's ready to go home. No more wandering around the store with her.

Jim

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I had to go too.
I just kept saying....ooooo let's buy this, oooo let's get that, oh yeah, gotta have this.
Don't go no mo!!:rofl:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Actually, I have studied the same question. Before I taught school, I was a construction worker and like you, I walked all over the place but the pace of my step was much quicker than in the Mall. I found that at the "shopping stroll", I tired out almost immediately. The work pace is much quicker and deliberate. Now when I go shopping, I almost always go alone and with a list. Get in, get out, get home! No Mall!

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
Fuck you're depressing, Jim!
Why is that depressing???I go to the Beaverhead in the summertime. I step out of the truck and you can see the fish. Why wander up and down a stream when you don't have to. I ain't no spring chicken any more. I try to get in the easiest fishing that I can. My knees can't take the pounding of the rocks anymore. Just wait until you are 74 and then you can tell me all about it. Don't worry as I plan to stay here for a while.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Men lack the "shopping" chromosome. We make purchases- we do not shop. It's a simple decision making process for us- we have a task at hand: Get in, get what we need, get out.
Women, on the other hand, browse.

It harkens back to our caveman days when men were the hunters; women the gatherers.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think the mall syndrome is due to the hard surface you are standing on and the lack of significant movement to get the blood circulating. I actually noticed the same thing last week when I was standing on the casting deck of a panga searching for bonefish in Ascention Bay. After a while my feet and legs were aching (plus that 85 degree weather was making me too hot)! It also happens to me standing too long on tile or concrete floors, especially if there is not much movement. Rick

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I truly am blessed! My wife hates malls as do I and will only go to one when absolutely necessary. We have been in a mall 3 times in the last 9 years and one of those times was for an eye exam.

I think there is more to mall aversion than just genetics. We are used to fresh air and lots of it. When we go in a mall the first thing we notice is that our breathing is not the same. We get sleepy real quick and are aware of all of the unnatural smells. I think that all of the products that are out gassing in malls create some kind of a numbing gas that burns the eyes, irritates the throat and induces some kind of stupor.

Probably your best defense against emphysema and brain damage is just to avoid them altogether.

Loteck-you should be ashamed of yourself! You eat that food don't you? The least you could do is help your wife shop, bag her groceries, load them in the car for her and then unload them at home and help her put them away. You probably don't cook or do dishes either, huh? Jeez, what a useless lout!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Shopping must be done with a plan of attack. An itemized list of things that one must attain and then move on. There is no browsing about touching and examining every single damn thing in every store. Read the list. Identify the locations where the most list items can be had in the most efficient manner. Find those items, mark them off the list and get the hell out of there. Next location, mark off more. Repeat until done and there are HUGE bonus points for beign done early and getting a chance to hit a fly shop or catch a game. I hate nothing more than a shopping trip that ends up being a browsing session to compare prices of one item in forty locations. Find the item, buy the item, mission accomplished.

Shopping is a tactical process and not meant for the ill prepared. The ill prepared are more than welcome to stroll the mall.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
All of what was said Mumbles goes out the window the minute you walk thru the doors of any store. I went to the Grocery store for a few items for supper tonight. I walked out with a lot more than was on the list. I was just hungry for a salad I guess. But it's only money and I ain't leaving anything for my kids.

Jim

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Wrong Jim, you failed. The plan must be set and followed. Execute the plan or you get sucked into places like that for impluse items or hours of time you did not plan to spend.
Plan
Do
Done
If I were in your shoes and could not fish and was not working I have no idea what I'd do. I'm thinking that I'd need some serious medication or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the mall syndrome is due to the hard surface you are standing on and the lack of significant movement to get the blood circulating. I actually noticed the same thing last week when I was standing on the casting deck of a panga searching for bonefish in Ascention Bay. After a while my feet and legs were aching (plus that 85 degree weather was making me too hot)! It also happens to me standing too long on tile or concrete floors, especially if there is not much movement. Rick
Ok. Boo hoo on you. This doesn't count. If you're complaining here, we'll all gonna drive to your house and stick a fly rod in your eye! :rofl:

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
I always attributed it to standing around on the concrete floors. I usually only go to the mall once a year, right about this time in fact. But I go solo, with a mission, and if I'm out of there promptly, it doesn't bother my feet.

Sg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.