Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my Brodin net a few days ago , the one I bought in 1984, and thought since it's been so good to me over the years, I'd see about sending it back to Brodin for a well deserved spa day. Pretty much sand off the dated finish and maybe update the net.

I sent an email off to Brodin, and got a response right away however not the response I was looking for. They are now based out of Costa Rica so the shipping wouldn't make it cost effective to do so. Chris Brodin, who I got the response from, did offer me 25% off a new net if I wanted to. I respectfully declined his offer and now wondering what other options I have out there who does quality net work.

I could do the refinishing myself no problem, but Chris said that I may find it tough to get a new net to align up with the holes that are already in the wood. Even if I keep the netting, and it's still in good shape I doubt I could get it back on and have it look like it was supposed to.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg

o
Wood Tints and shades Composite material Foot Sandal
Wood Mesh Art Home appliance Pattern
Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Pattern Font

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a replacement net from Brodin for nearly all of their models. Or you can measure the distance around the frame and buy a ghost net in a very similar size. Then it is just a matter of removing the old net, refinishing the frame and installing the new bag. Or you can retain the old bag, though it appears to be a knotted type, and re-string it using a small crochet hook and some new line. I did it to two nets.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Natural material Wood Grass Terrestrial plant Eyewear

My buddy Herb builds nets out of his shop in Milton, WA. He has three basic nets he builds, this is the smallest. I have two of his large boat nets. He also fits them with ghost bags. If you are interested in his contact info, PM me.

Standard disclosure: He's a fishing buddy.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
That looks like fiber net. I have a tough times with fiber nets and removing flies - even with a pinched barb. I would look at rubber / ghost alternatives if that is a possibility. I was a little disappointed with FishKat when I wanted to replace the woven net with rubber, a no-go. To their credit, they did offer a discount on a new net - a very decent discount.

MB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.