Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent about a month searching for the perfect 2 person (usually my 6 year old son and I) drift/lake boat. I looked at Lavro, Koffler, Clacka, Hyde, Spring Creek, etc. New ones were all pretty pricey, so I combed Craigslist a couple times a day in WA and OR for a month.
Finally, a 10 footer I can put in the back of my pickup or haul with a trailer. Good for lakes and rivers. It needed a little TLC (home made anchor system and5 fly line catching cleats were removed, patched a small ding on the chine, patched cracked benches, and added a Dierks anchor release and made a 27lb chain anchor with pulley and StarBoard backing plate. I've only had it out on a small lake so far, but it's stable enough to stand and cast and has much more room than the boat we were using before. It's not the easiest thing to pull into the truck bed alone, but @ $70 to trailer it home on the ferry, I'll manage.
It's a Watershed boat made in Oregon.
View attachment 32459 View attachment 32460 View attachment 32461

·
Team Umiak
410 Posts
Nice job FB..if I knew you were lookin I'd have offered up my Don Hill 10" minidrifter with trailer..primo on both. YIKES..a 27 lb chain anchor..IMHO way too much for that craft in where you'll put her. For the rivers I wouldn't anchor mid-stream..did it once on the Yak and scared the shit out of me..have a very sharp knife handy. For near shore 15 lb should suffice on moving water..get her to the bank, drop the hook, and fish the bar or seam. For still water 2 anchors, fore and aft in the 7-10 lb should be good. PM Ford Fenders and Feltseoul for suggestions on the still waters..IMO a couple of the guru's here. Just a little boat with one or two in her..be careful.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Karl. I think I actually prefer fixing up a used boat. I don't cringe so much when I add my scrapes.

fodf, sounds like I should give the Bob Marley anchor a little hair cut and make it more of a "mullet" anchor. Thanks for the input. I'll store the extra chain for a future big boy drifter. It will be just stillwater when with my son and I'll try not to act like I'm in a 16' drift boat when on the Yak. I can see how that could be a little exciting having an anchor holding a 120lb boat in swift water midstream.
I was actually en route to Clackacraft one weekend and called ahead to find they sold the last Don Hill a couple days earlier. These seem to have a similar design. I kept my eyes on the classified ads here, but never thought of putting a WTB ad up.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff. It seems to be a well built boat. I'll be taking it out for the second time this weekend. I get to test out my fiberglass repair skills on the seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.