Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I may get hammered on here, but I'll take my chances.

This really has no relevance other than for personal reasons, however, I am looking at a future move (down the road) and I have narrowed it down to three states; Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Initially, this may be a location for a vacation home but it will turn into a permanent home at some point. Part of the decision on where to go will be based on fishing variety and quality (Trout, Bass, Salmon, Steelhead, Pike), hunting opportunities (mostly upland birds and some waterfowl) and overall scenery and seasons.

Currently, I am not leaning one way or another. I think all three states offer great opportunities for fishing and hunting, I feel that all three states get all four seasons and I believe that all three states offer great scenery and people. For someone who likes the variety of Trout fishing one day, Bass fishing the next and Steelheading next week, while shooting some birds in between, what do you all recommend?

I appreciate any insight you all may have!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Plenty of varied opinions and recommendations if you do a search under "retirement", "best place to live", etc.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How about Clarkston, Wa. Great steelhead fishing, bird hunting, and trout fishing is not that far away.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
I'd look at the Bend, Oregon area. Got hammered by the real estate collapse (but then so did the Phoenix area). Great trout fishing all around, steelhead not far.
Love that area, great climate and lots of sun, even though it can get cold in the winter. Not sure what the bird hunting options are- never hunted
down there.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Well I see that Montana is not on your list. Thank you for that. I lived in Washington for over 60 years and I can say that I don't miss fishing for Steelhead. Now that I'm in Montana, I can fish when ever I want to. No waiting for rivers to open up and casting all day for a fish that is a myth. Besides I like the idea of catching fish in the middle of winter.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Oregon. Their ecosystems are far fishier than WA, and their climate is far nicer than ID year-round. If I didn't need to live here for work and family reasons, I would be in OR myself.

Or Colorado, but you didn't ask about that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all of the responses. Colorado was on the list, however, the fiancee is not to sure about it. Montana IS on the short list, and may be an option. However, I decided to leave it off for this discussion because as far as I know, there is not a whole lot of Bass fishing in the state. Steelies are a little drive and I do know there are Pike, I just omitted it for this thread.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Oregon. Their ecosystems are far fishier than WA, and their climate is far nicer than ID year-round. If I didn't need to live here for work and family reasons, I would be in OR myself.

Or Colorado, but you didn't ask about that.
I'm lugan on this one,( sweet mullet by the way) some Great golf if your into that as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Johnson.....................love golf!

As for New Mexico, the Juan is a 7 hour drive from me now. May as well say put. It is fairly pretty, but it is not for me. I need more of the forest effect, but northern N.M. is nice, especially Taos.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I'd say they all are great they just have some differences. you can't go to far wrong you'll just have to count the pluses for each. They vary by area of the states and dry side against wet side but some places are good for ease to reach both. Some of the smaller towns in the vacinity of larger ones mentioned may be the best choices. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.