Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those familiar with Lake 16 (and my bitch-session post), there were these dull-reddish flying insects that were skating about the surface on Saturday. They were definitely not chironomids and didn't look like a flying ant or caddis. Their wings were flush to the body and extended past the abdomen. The legs were surprisingly short and stout--like a beetle's. These insects seemed to have difficulty flying off the water, so must have presented easy targets for the many surface-feeding trout. Does anyone know what these insects are? There were two boys who were new to fly fishing (they and their casting told me as much) who found success with red-bellied humpies. I think there is something going on here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's a strange-sounding bug. How big was it? Did it actually hatch, or was it a terrestrial of some sort? Next time you go out there try and catch a sample. I try to bring specimens home to match when I tie. A photo would have been helpful, but insects are tough to catch on film. Aaron J

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting, ceviche, I saw the same thing on Blackman's Lake in Snohomish this weekend. Profile very similar to a lady bug, dull rust-colored shell, size about 16, legs flailing in desperation. Although I never did figure out what was responsible for the sporadic rises at Blackman's, your mystery bug sounds like it could be the culprit. The violent crashing takes on the surface were certainly not indicative of midgin fish (as the lonely emerger at the end of my line would confirm). Time to hit the bench and tie up some experimental patterns. Thanks for the scoop.

-Crock

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Could be terrestrial beetles emerging from the ground. I noticed a bunch of different beetles attempting to fly (poorly) and climbing up grass at various parks over the weekend- I'm sure they would have crashed into water had any been nearby.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently, I did a poor job of describing the insect, other than its color. First of all, I mistook it for an adult chironomid, but the head,antenna, legs, and length of wing convinced me otherwise. The whole insect was of this rusty, light-orange red. Also, the wings were mostly transparent (like a chironomid's) and extended past the end of the body (unlike a chironomid's). The wings were also held flush to the body. The insect was about 3/8" in overall length, about a size 16. The head seemed ant-like, but it didn't have an ant-like body. It did have problems flying off the surface of the water, so I'm certain it must have been attractive to the trout gulping and leaping everywhere. Whether or not these were hatching from the water is something I cannot honestly testify to. I kind of think I saw this happening, but I'm not too sure. Those nasty boys I encountered there disturbed my ability to clearly recall all the details. :beathead

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Definitely not a caddis, nor a cinnimon caddis/sedge. The wing shape (I think...) and profile against the body was more like a chironomid, but much longer.

I've been searching a number of insect ID sites but couldn't find one that worked well enough. If you find a good one, hedburner, definitely let me know.

BTW, nice to see you online again, Tight Loops.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Back about a dozen or so posts I came across the same thing. But looking thru my many fly boxes I came up with something close. A March Brown with a gray body. I must of caught about 16 fish and also lost a few more. Then my flies all fell apart but I got some MB's but these don't seem to work as good as the gray bodys did. This was also on Lake 16. I thought that the bug that I saw was brown hence March Brown. But this is what I get for thinking.

Maybe I'll try that lake again tomorrow. Went to the Yakima today but that is another story.

Jim

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nothing real good yet, but ran down a few helpful links.
http://www.monroe2boces.org/shared/esp/PondLife.htm
Mostly a generaly help site to help with collecting and learning some general terms, with some good links. I found this book which would be nice but rather pricey.
http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/0867200170/table_of_contents.htm
A lot of the fly shop sites have books on insect identification. I'm sure the local fly shop could help too.
Also if you could capture a sample and take it too a university or college someone in the biology departments could help.
Wouldn't hurt to carry around a small aquarium net to capture this stuff too. Think I might start doing this too.
I'll keep looking and organize the links that I find, should come up with something more helpful.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Termites usually hatch in late summer, and are usually about an inch long including wings. You know, there are literally thousands of terrestrials that hatch at various times of the year, and most of us are oblivious to them, or lump them into a general "bug" category and don't bother to notice their unique qualities. When I was a kid, I used to collect insects and butterflies, which probably led to my flyfishing obsession. I still bend over or reach up to inspect a bug wherever I am, much to my wife's chagrin.
aaron j

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep...I'm pretty sure the bug I saw was a terrestrial beetle of some sort. The day was quite windy and, although I wouldn't call these bugs abundant, there were enough to explain the sporadic, splashy rises I saw. After hearing a more detailed description of ceviche's chironomid-like bug, it's safe to say that we are talking about two different creatures. Tying up some red humpies sounds like a good idea though. Adding some terrestrial variations to the lake box is probably worth doing as well. If nothing else, this discussion has pushed me to be less oblivious to the non-standard fish food next time out.

-Crock

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Not to take anything away from Lake 16. But I have also seen a simular looking bug at a few other lakes. I have tried the March Brown at several different lakes and had hits there also. So I guess that this bug is all around.

Jim

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

It's a funny thing because I've seen the inside of your fly box and I don't remember seeing all of those bunny leeches that you keep talking about. In fact I think all that you used on the N/Fork last year was salmon eggs. Or at least they looked like um. Or maybe it was an egg like fly. But no rabbits.:p :p :p :p :p :rolleyes :rofl

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.