Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Was talking to my neighbor today and she told me a story of a fly fisher catching a big king on the river and keeping it. They were swimming in the N/F by C.Post road on monday and this guy that was fishing that hole there hooked a big king. She said that it took him about a hour to land it and after he landed it he did the look around thing to see if anyone was looking and then he put it in his car and left. They said that he could hardly lift it it was so big. Estimate it at 40 lbs.

Well if it's true there goes alot of fish that nobody is going to have a shot at.

Well so much for my thinking that us fly guys were the good guys. :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

Jim

·
Registered
747 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for bringing attention to this incident onto this board. I'm sure that there's a pretty good chance that the guy who kept the king reads this board. If you are that person reading this post, all I can say is that you are no better than pond scum and should certainly know better.

Glad to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Even though bonked and gone, in the future suggest to note the car license # and call the Wa St.800 poaching line.
Even though this is BAD and after the fact, hopefully the king was a hatchery, not native. If you're talking about the NF-Stilli I recall awhile back some hatcheries were planted for tribal netting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is the sort of thing that I would expect from a bait chucker, but not a fly fisherman. We as fly fisherman have a reputation of being more environmentally mindful than the average fisherman and it is guys like that tarnish the rest of our images.

·
Ignored Member
12,139 Posts
I wonder if it was the same yoyo I saw fishing from the bridge a few days ago?

I think because the NF is fly only we get some real wingnuts fishing with fly gear. You probably won't see them fishing fly gear anywhere else.

·
Registered
184 Posts
>we get some real wingnuts

Haven't heard that expression in a while...too funny. I agree that you'll find guys throwing flies on the NF this time of year that don't exactly subscribe to the fly fishing ethic. It's too bad, but these incidents must be reported with detailed information to the authorities.

-Crock

·
Bigfoot is blurry
1,915 Posts
That's hardcore poaching. Very few people fishing the north fork would let that slide if they saw it.

>That is the sort of thing that I would expect from a
>bait chucker, but not a fly fisherman. We as fly
>fisherman have a reputation of being more
>environmentally mindful than the average fisherman and
>it is guys like that tarnish the rest of our images.
>
>

Comments like that are the reason I don't contribute much here anymore. I fish gear about 50% of the time, as do the people I fish with. You may see me on the river some time and look down your nose because of the rod I happen to be carrying that day. Oh well.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,393 Posts
There are quite a few kings already at the Hwy 2/Wallace hatchery pool. If they can make it there, they can make it anywhere! (but not NY)I was in Goldbar last week and couldn't go by the hatchery without taking a look, I would guess about 80 to 90 in there already.
LB

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Papafish if you have the time go over to the N/F and see that very low water in the river. I'm suprised that there is any movement in the river and water going over the riffles,Well the water over the riffles is about 1" to 3" deep. I'm suprised that they haven't closed the river down as all the fish there are stacking in the deeper holes. Making it a liners heaven. And if you did catch anything being that the river is so warm you would probably stress out the fish.

I'll shut up now.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.