Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am going to be up around Glacier this weekend and will have some time to fish the river. I have never fished it before but when I was there last fall there appeard to be a few nice holes.

Any recommendations on where, what, when?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Yeah -- come back NEXT fall.
Not to be negative, Brad, but baring very atypical seasonal water conditions, the North Fork is not trout-fishable until the stream lowers and somewhat clears in October. Then, on a bright autumn day, it's the nicest little trout stream in the Fourth Corner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Any lakes or ponds close by there where I can take my daughter? She is just starting to get into fly fishing (14 years old) and was really looking forward to it this weekend.

Thanks again.

Brad

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Silver Lake is just before the Mount Baker Forest entry, you can rent row boats and canoes. However, it may be quite busy. As for little streams...try Canyon Creek. If nothing else it is a beautiful drive to it. Go into the Forest, take the first left after Douglas Fir Camp ground? onto Canyon Creek road. It is paved, however, it does switch to gravel 5-9 miles into the drive. The first part of the drive is going up a mountain, and offers great views of Baker and surrounding mountains, you wind around a bit and then decend...the creek will be in site 5-8 miles into the drive. Bring plent of dries (barbless!), fish any water that is 2' or more deep behind a rock. I gaurentee that if the water is clear you will catch a fish behind every rock! It is a blast...I brought my wife up there for her first flyfishing adventure...definitely worth it. I would bring sandles and wet wade...since the weather is going to be pretty nice. People do car camp along the river...try going up the road (over two small bridges take a left), gravel road, fish within the first mile and a half from the bridge. You may have to hike down to the creek, but once there wet wade around. If the river stinks...keep driving up the road, always taking the left fork...it will eventually stop at the trailhead to Excellscior (sp) ridge trail (great 3-4 mile hike) which has awesome views of Baker!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent information. Thank you.

As you say the weather will be nice so at least we'll get good scenery and hiking in if nothing else.

I will post how it all goes when I get back.

I hate to admit this but this is my first time out fishing since a trip I took to a fishing camp in Canada almost two years ago :bawling. Seems there just hasn't been the time lately.

But... I have the bug again and this is my comeback season. Plus now I have kids that are interested and that makes it a lot easier to go out.

Thanks again for the information,

Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.