Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down there this weekend. Will mostly be fishing on top but bringing some wet flies as well. As I understand it you can't use wire rib since it counts as a weighted fly, correct? What about Lagartun oval tinsel? Seems more like a braid to me but want to make sure.

Flies just don't look right without a rib! Also thinking about a palmered saltwater hackle and trimming the barbs down close. Did a few with thick thread and some with thin yarn but they just don't look the same. What else is there?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I can't imagine you getting hassled over tinsel rib. Everybody fishes classics down there. As long as you're not using lead wrap or eyes I'd think you'd be fine.

It's been years since I was checked on the NU and the stater didn't even look at our gear or licenses. Just rolled up and asked how fishing was, hung out for a bit, and left.

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's that large of a concern, could always just use flashabou instead of tinsel.
Duh! They even make metallic Krystal Flash nowadays. Not a big fan of the wide stuff but I can twist it up nicely. Not sure how I missed that, guess I've been tying more natural muted stuff lately and the bag of flashy stuff is in a drawer.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Tied a few foam skaters and then realized I had wire rib on them. It would be my luck to get a ticket for a "weighted" skater.... This is more of an exploratory trip so I just really don't want to get hassled.

Love me some big ol skunks Rob. Pretty much only fish 1/0 and 2/0 around these parts to avoid smolt hook ups. I was tying smaller more natural stuff for down there but I'll fish some of the bigger ones as well now. Thanks!

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Duh! They even make metallic Krystal Flash nowadays. Not a big fan of the wide stuff but I can twist it up nicely. Not sure how I missed that, guess I've been tying more natural muted stuff lately and the bag of flashy stuff is in a drawer.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Tied a few foam skaters and then realized I had wire rib on them. It would be my luck to get a ticket for a "weighted" skater.... This is more of an exploratory trip so I just really don't want to get hassled.

Love me some big ol skunks Rob. Pretty much only fish 1/0 and 2/0 around these parts to avoid smolt hook ups. I was tying smaller more natural stuff for down there but I'll fish some of the bigger ones as well now. Thanks!
I'll send the invoice right over. I think a few of those skaters should cover the consulting fee. :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take some black leech patterns about 1.5 inches long with lots of waggle. That fly has salvaged a trip for me many times. Don't be afraid to run it off a tip if things are slow.

That being said if you want to get a fish on top you really have to commit to it. Fish that skater for a day or two before you go to the wet fly.

I would also have some black and purple muddlers...but that's just me.

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take some black leech patterns about 1.5 inches long with lots of waggle. That fly has salvaged a trip for me many times. Don't be afraid to run it off a tip if things are slow.

That being said if you want to get a fish on top you really have to commit to it. Fish that skater for a day or two before you go to the wet fly.

I would also have some black and purple muddlers...but that's just me.
Check and check on the muddlers.

No tips in the fly water right? Been committed to the dry line this summer after a really good June so I'll probably just stay up top. Haven't really had the clarity for it so I'm looking forward to some good viso and top water fishing. Got into the long line game last year for exactly this kind of trip. Stoked!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Stick tight with the muddlers Yardsale, surface presentations work but they work better in some situations/water than others. Use your head and you'll figure out where they'll be most effective.
Steelhead are steelhead and they ain't picky. Commit and you'll catch fish, play with this and that and you're less likely to be successful on the surface. You can only catch them the way you are fishing.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
no metal core lines.. that said sinktips are entirely unnecessary. probably just cause you to lose more flies and not catch more fish... don't over fish the runs. cover the water where you can control the fly.... camp at Susan creek so you can shower...

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And wash off all my mojo? No way!

Don't worry. At this point I'm happy with a solid morning session, a big lunch, a book, a nap, and a little evening session.

Wish I hadn't given away my copy of Decs book but my Mom recently gave me the full works of mark twain. She did make my middle name Clemens for a reason!

Thanks again folks, I'll post up my fun.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can use tips in the flywater, even in the summer. Do you need them? No. Can you catch fish without them? Yes.

Will they get you a fish when the other methods aren't working? Sometimes.

Just another arrow in the quiver.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
And wash off all my mojo? No way!

Don't worry. At this point I'm happy with a solid morning session, a big lunch, a book, a nap, and a little evening session.

Wish I hadn't given away my copy of Decs book but my Mom recently gave me the full works of mark twain. She did make my middle name Clemens for a reason!

Thanks again folks, I'll post up my fun.
When you are down there go to steamboat Inn and get a copy of "a river seen right" by Micheal baughman

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to hear about it.
I'm debating heading down there myself next week but it's such a long drive from Montana. I've never been there though and I have a window of opportunity so....
Ridiculously crowded on the weekends. If you come, try to plan to be here on a weekday. I went on a Saturday a few weeks ago. The 10 or so spots I like were being fished. Did a lot of exploring to find new places. Was fun but no fish after pounding the water for 6 hours. Also, put fresh studs on your felt soles. That's my advice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ridiculously crowded on the weekends. If you come, try to plan to be here on a weekday. I went on a Saturday a few weeks ago. The 10 or so spots I like were being fished. Did a lot of exploring to find new places. Was fun but no fish after pounding the water for 6 hours. Also, put fresh studs on your felt soles. That's my advice.
Ha! This is the truth no matter if you've fished the river 10 times or 100. Make sure your boots are sticky, park in out of the way spots, and follow the cleat marks.

Also, if you haven't fished the NU before, fish mostly tailouts and make sure you drag a fly through any soft spot you can reach on the other bank. Fish a long line when you can but realize that many fish are reached from under the trees. Follow the trails, there's a reason they are there.

Good luck, I love the NU. There's really nowhere else like it.

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, what a trip. Its just too easy to get stuck in the Gorge all summer so it takes some commitment to escape. That or a bunch of days around 100 degrees so all the local options are blown out.

This river definitely took me out of my comfort zone, which is a good thing.
I'm not an early riser but got up in the dark.
I love slowly and blindly working my way down long ass gravel bar runs. This was wade to a specific rock, strip out the right amount of line, and target one little bucket. Then its off to the next spot.
I usually work pretty hard to get away from anything man-made. This place is all right on a busy road.

But oh man what an awesome place. The river's beauty is top shelf. The amount of sexy structure is just intimidating. Its almost like there is just too much good water. Despite the intense fishing people were friendly and polite. Plus anytime you can tie on a dry line and leave it on for 3 days is a win in my book. Every time I tied on a wet fly I seemed to put it in the trees so I finally just stayed on the skater all day. way more fun and really learned some things about my casting to get the right turnover to create the angle on the dangle I wanted on that far slot. Fun!

Got out Thursday after work and hit the road(excuse the iPhone pics, big camera had a dead battery right away)
Car Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion Hood

Sky Car Automotive lighting Plant Automotive mirror

Got on the river Friday morning and settled into a nice rhythm almost immediately. Get on a nice run at daybreak
Sky Water Water resources Cloud Tree

Then drive the road and scout spots looking for shade
Plant Water Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Terrestrial plant

Once the sun got a bit high I would just stop at each pull out and see what was there. This was how I found spots for the next session.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Natural landscape

Around noon it was time to get out of the sun. Lunch and a good cocktail made the nappin easy. Simple margaritas for the win! Cup of ice, 1 squeezed orange, 1 squeezed lime, and some tequila did nicely.
Water Natural landscape Plant Vegetation Biome

Swim the dogs to get them nice and tired
Water Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

Then it would be an evening session and back to camp for a quick dinner and early bedtime.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Terrain

Food Bottle Tableware Ingredient Recipe

All in all I couldn't have asked for more. Found some honey buckets, learned some camp spots, just got a good feel for the river. Lots left to learn and can't wait to do all again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.