Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is national hunting and fishing day.

In my youth this day was significant. The day our annual turkey shoot took place. A festive event that involved wide array of standard and out of the ordinary guideline shooting games.. all for a prize. Mostly meat, quite a few frozen turkeys and canned hams, etc.. Other cool stuff like a new cast iron skillet or maybe a fancy belt buckle, reloading components.. and always flats of factory load ammo. Basically articles of value and interest along with the meat.

We had two regulation 16 yard trap fields on the farm, complete with 27 yard handicap concrete walkways. My Dad had good friends and just naturally drew people to him. They built the fields piece by piece from scratch and collective of skills over the course of a few years. We shot on Thursday afternoons with some 'special' shoots on weekends. People came from next door to an easy 50 mile radius, many became close family friends. By the time I was 15 I figured I'd set and picked up at least a bazillion targets.. an abused childhood, on multiple levels (smiling) My Mom tripped and scored the same numbers.

I'd forgotten about national hunting and fishing day for years. Then, just this week it popped back up front in the memory.

Anyway, were 'Turkey Shoots' common in the West as well? If so, any varied or interesting style of 'shoots' to relate?

One of my favorites was called a "walk up shoot". Shooters filled the 5 positions posting on the 27 yard line for a 10 bird course. Each would start walking slowly towards the trap house.. the bird would flush (pullers discretion) at any point from before first step touched ground to literally stomping on the trap house.. fun laugh filled times.

Another interesting spin off was the "running deer". A 4' x 8' sheet of ply-wood with paper running deer target fixed in place, pulleys mounted on it and ran on a light gauge cable tensioned up tightly. It would emerge from out of a small hidden ravine and come across the hay field into the apple orchard. Each shooter would fire 3 rounds and be scored on those. A pretty unique (to me anyway) event.

Times change, the trap houses sat idle for a couple decades and have been gone quite a few years now. One thing that has not changed is my Dad's shooting. At 72 he's a long time regular on any sporting clays course, prefers 28 gauge.. and still recognized as a top contender.

Enjoy the day.. B

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
yeah Terry! Been there...but i was one of the duffers.... :D Shot a Stoeger Condor Supreme in 12, with custom Briley extended & ported chokes. After shooting a shotgun since I was 8 years old, it wasn't hard to wax these guys who showed up with their Krieghofs and Perazzis......

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Krieghofs were all the buzz back in the day.. mostly because not many had ever seen one. Likely could have charged admission.

Some favorites of mine from latter 1970's on were Remington 3200 spcl trap (30" full and mod) Browning BT-99 (single) 32" X-full, and a Winchester Super-X 30" full. Fancy custom stocked, gold inlayed model 12's were common, some real stunners among them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.