Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...-off-plan-for-big-national-park-fee-increases

Looks like you won't have to take out a second mortgage to experience some of our national treasures. I'd like to think it's a case of sanity reigning supreme but I have my doubts; Zinke probably caught a lot of flak from his Montana constituents, who he'll need to woo when he runs for the Senate or Governor in the coming years.
No doubt that Interior needs a cash infusion for park maintenance/repairs (I dare you to tow a trailer from Babb up to Many Glacier at anything over 25mph, plus a lot of braking for ruts/potholes); maybe the Secretary can just caulk that leaky door in his office and put those funds to better use.

A rod with a fighting butt on Lake McDonald? down by Apgar? Shirt still has creases in it; probably had a staffer pick it up at Sportsman's on the way to the Park.

Regards,
Scott

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Gad!

The entire budget of the NPS for 2018 is 2.55 billion, down from 2016 of 2.85. The 417 park units bring 35 billion in commerce, including 18 billion to gateway communities.
W e could maintain the 2016 funding if we had made the Iraq war 8.4 hours shorter.
When the government shut down a few years ago the park gateway communities here in California were decimated. Interestingly, many were initially tea party supporters as were their Congressmen; the economic impact of the relatively short shutdown really opened up some constituents eyes.
As one who worked in large facilities management and funding, that is a miniscule figure for operations and maintenance for 417 units.

G

·
let see if I understand this, the park fees didn't double like everybody was complaining was going to happen, So now we complain about the guys photo because he didn't raise the fees !!!

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
let see if I understand this, the park fees didn't double like everybody was complaining was going to happen, So now we complain about the guys photo because he didn't raise the fees !!!
No, the board is simply multi-tasking. The membership is capable of commenting on the small increase in park fees and that the secretary is a POSER.
Steve

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Not the first time been called out...

"Here he might be trying to channel the Marlboro Man. He's even got on his official "Helmville Rodeo" jacket. Zinke's been on a horse a few times, judging by how he rests his free hand on his leg and his relaxed seat. I've seen riders with worse leg position. But he's still riding like a dude: his pants are riding up, his heels aren't down, his toes are barely in the stirrups, and he is riding one-handed, Western-style-in an English saddle. Not only that, but he's also using the wrong hand. Riders carry their reins in their non-dominant hand when riding one-handed. Zinke is right-handed, so he should hold his reins in his left. Even cowboys usually ride with two hands when they have a snaffle bit on the horse, as here. "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.