Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a guy tonight that was out swinging for steel and caught two Doll– er, bull trouts on the Snoqualmie below Carnation this week. I thought it was pretty uncommon, and he was surprised himself since he's never caught a bull tro– er, Dolly on the Snoqualmie, and then catches 2 in the same outing.

Since they're an indicator species of clear, low-silt water, it does seem quite a rarity to catch them in the Snoqualmie Slough, even though it has it's sections where there's actually some gradient/gravel.

Who else has caught a native char in these waters?

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
i hear theres been reports of dollies being in the green river as well. as for snoqualmie, i believe there was always a small population in snoq below the falls. just not very common.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Not surprised to hear that someone caught a bull or two in the Snoqualmie.

Current understanding of the region's bull trout is that neither the Snoqualmie or the Green support reproducing populations. Yes bulls are seen in both basins but those fish are foraging fish from other populations. It is common for bulls looking for feeding opportunities to move extensively; both within and between basins. While fish seen in the Snoqualmie are probably from the Skykomish population (within the basin) they could be from some other out of basin populations (for example the Skagit). Tagged Skagit fish entering the salt have been seen in a number of different basins; at least as far south as Seattle.

Tight lines
Curt

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
Probably Skykomish fish. I imagine its a little early for them to be heading to the salt- so I would doubt that these are Skagit fish. But Curt probably knows more than almost all of us put together. I caught my first 2 Bulls out of the Skykomish this year...was nice to see, as I have fished this river a lot and have never caught one. I had heard the they Sky was one of the few rivers with a relatively healthy population, but was beginning to doubt it based on my experience.

I bet these fish just finished the chum salmon egg and flesh mop up and are looking for emerging fry/smolts now? When do Pinks emerge?
C

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
While I agree that the char recently caught in the Snoqualmie are likely part of the Skykomish population the anadromous fish do begin moving into the salt this time of year. Some of the radio tagged bulls from the Skagit have been "seen" leaving the river for the salt this time of the year. Those fish seen to spend very little time in the salt this time of year and usually duck back into freshwater areas such as the Snohomish system.

January is often a bit of down time for the catching of the bulls in the local North Sound rivers; as Chris mentioned the chum feast usually has ended by that time. The fish begin looking to feed again as the various salmon fry begin emerging from the gravel. See the earliest of the Chinook fry around the first of the year and by late January there can be decent numbers of newly hatched Chinook in the rivers and on the bull's menu - think some sort of emerger pattern. The first of the pink fry can be expect to begin emerging in a couple of weeks with lots of fry out of the gravel several weeks later and the chum fry not far behind.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Not surprised to hear that someone caught a bull or two in the Snoqualmie.

Current understanding of the region's bull trout is that neither the Snoqualmie or the Green support reproducing populations. Yes bulls are seen in both basins but those fish are foraging fish from other populations. It is common for bulls looking for feeding opportunities to move extensively; both within and between basins. While fish seen in the Snoqualmie are probably from the Skykomish population (within the basin) they could be from some other out of basin populations (for example the Skagit). Tagged Skagit fish entering the salt have been seen in a number of different basins; at least as far south as Seattle.

Tight lines
Curt
I've heard similar stories of fish leaving one drainage only to return later, but on the OP!

·
For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
797 Posts
Fished that system for years, never seen one come to hand.......

c/22

·
Registered
106 Posts
I caught one small dollie (bull trout) on the Snoqualmie River years ago at the Dog Pound Hole, in early December when the chum run was ending. Very healthy fish. Always glad to see these fish in our western Washington waters.
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.