Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a yard sale recently and picked up this rod for not very much. It's marked asa Sage GFL 590 RP. I posted it for auction on Ebay, starting at $99, and I've had more than 250 people look at it and 29 watching it, perhaps with intent to bid. But no bids. ... Makes me wonder if this is somehow a particularly valuable stick. It's a 2-piece, if that makes any difference. Can someone tell me about this.... when was it made, or when did Sage stop making them? What's its value, given it appears to be in a near-mint state? I've had inquiries from as far as Lithuania.... any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Flycaster912

·
Registered
740 Posts
the rod was made in the late 80s early 90s. The best way to tell how old a rod is to look at the serial number. It will start with a letter of the alphabet. That rod is not very rare. It will probably go fo less than 200 bucks

i

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
The serial number should be on the handle just above the cork. You picked it up on the cheap at a yard sale, it looks mint, you're trying to flip it and at $99 you have some interest but no commitments? That is how an auction site works, lurking and dropping a bid late in the game as to not promote the bid totals driving up. You can always look for ended auctions on that site to get a feel for what those rods or similar have gone for in recent auctions. You can list it in the classifieds at any web site or news rag you like, set your price and test the waters. I'd recommend just fishing that bad boy. You said you got it for not much. Congratulations, and welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of fine rod fans around here.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Look opposite of logo (other side of rod from logo) ...do it in the sunlight, and look from different angles. They are not always easy to see, or even read at times. It should be in black ink. Also do a search on this site, their has been several threads covering the history of sage rods, you might find of some use. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
What gives is your rod is maybe 30 years old, has no warrenty, was a lower end model when it was new and is not as strong or light as today's rods. On the other hand, it is a really nice casting rod. The right guy might pay the opening bid of $100.99 but it is fully priced at that. I think that's why your getting lookers but no biters. Just my 2 cents. A lot people, myself included, love those RP rods so hopefully I'm full of sh*t and it will go for lots more :)

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
What gives is your rod is maybe 30 years old, has no warrenty, was a lower end model when it was new and is not as strong or light as today's rods. On the other hand, it is a really nice casting rod. The right guy might pay the opening bid of $100.99 but it is fully priced at that. I think that's why your getting lookers but no biters. Just my 2 cents. A lot people, myself included, love those RP rods so hopefully I'm full of sh*t and it will go for lots more :)
I think East Fork's hit the nail squarely on the head. While your rod is interesting from a historic perspective, as a fishing tool it's akin to driving a 1985 Chevy - drum brakes, skinny bias-ply tires, no ABS, poor gas mileage, etc. While there's a market for 1985 Chevy's, it's a pretty narrow one.

My guess is that by starting bidding at $99 you probably eliminated a lot of folks who might have been excited to bid if the starting amount were, say, $9.99 instead. Once a biding frenzy starts (especially likely for an item of high perceived value, like a Sage rod for $9.99), it'll quickly become 'personal' for some bidders and the resulting emotional component may well have pushed the price to what you hoped to get, or even more.

Regardless, here's hoping you find a buyer.

K

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Kent is right. When selling on Ebay, be brave and list it and 99 cents. It's likely to result in a higher ending price due to irrational competitive and other emotional reactions from bidders.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Did you buy it for your boy three years ago or recently at a garage sale? How do you know it's been used twice if you got it at a garage sale? This is why I hate ebay - it's hard to tell who the scammers are.

From the Ebay description.
This is a nice stick! I bought this for the boy, a couple years ago, used it exactly twice and decided he needed something faster. So here we are with a flyrod that originally cost in the neighborhood of three bills and it gets used twice. FIrst two guides appear to be ceramic. Graphite II and a feather-light 3 3/8 ounces. Nicely balanced. The only evidence that it's not new is the cork handle is very slightly discolored. Other than that, it's in perfect shape. Sale includes sock and aluminium tube. Any questions, just shoot me an email before bidding Thanks for looking and happy bidding.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Did you buy it for your boy three years ago or recently at a garage sale? How do you know it's been used twice if you got it at a garage sale? This is why I hate ebay - it's hard to tell who the scammers are.
King 5 News may have Get Jesse who is the champion for the consumer...WFF has our own Jesse to get to the bottom of the mystery. :thumb: You rock!

Wondering if this one gets locked down before the thread gets edited so the inconsistencies can be worked out of the story.

So I was at a yard sale recently and picked up this rod for not very much. It's marked asa Sage GFL 590 RP. I posted it for auction on Ebay, starting at $99, and I've had more than 250 people look at it and 29 watching it, perhaps with intent to bid. But no bids. ... Makes me wonder if this is somehow a particularly valuable stick. It's a 2-piece, if that makes any difference. Can someone tell me about this.... when was it made, or when did Sage stop making them? What's its value, given it appears to be in a near-mint state? I've had inquiries from as far as Lithuania.... any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Flycaster912

·
7,182 Posts

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
The original post is pretty lame. It's as lame as a stand up paddleboarder working their way over to where you are fishing, on say Beaver Lake in Sammamish, asking "Whassup?" and then falling off their paddleboard so you can't hook that freshly stocked triploid that ought to be nailing your slowly-trolled corn-pellet style fly. That's how lame this is.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts

·
7,182 Posts
Are you suggesting that WFF is an alternate universe for Mayberry? Or is Jesse really Matlock after a face lift?

K

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.