Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some advice about a stillwater rod for my elderly father. He’s in his mid 80’s, has a bit of a bum shoulder on his casting arm, and I’ve been trying to find a specialty stillwaters rod for him. Now, undoubtedly, the best thing I can do is help him with his casting stroke. But, set aside that for now.

My basic dilemma is rod weight. I see more and more stillwater anglers, especially across the pond, favour 7 weight rods (usually 10 feet). These days, rods are built pretty light, and so I do get that a 7 weight in 2022 can come in pretty handy without being too tiring, yet I wonder if I should have him get a 5 or 6 weight (still 10 feet) rod instead, and go even lighter. And yet, the 7 weight…maybe a more “powerful” rod in the 7 weight class will be a real workhorse and provide great support for his weaker shoulder.

So, bottom line, should I get my dad a 5, 6 or 7 weight? It will be a specialty rod for just lakes: It really only needs to do 2 basic things very, very well: (1) throw floating line indicator rigs with a 12 to 20 foot leader (and this is the primary focus) and (2) should be able to roll cast while fishing from shore against steep sided banks (though this can be accomplished through proper line selection, so help here too please!)

I live in Edmonton, so my brand choices are basically Sage, TFO, Orvis, WInston, Hardy, Loop, Echo, Vision, and Redington. About $1000 is the budget.

I was thinking the Orvis Helios 3D10 foot 7 weight. The Sage R8 Core is really stretching the budget. I am open to alternatives.

· Registered
544 Posts
you need a switch rod. this will not only be easy on his shoulder casting wise, since it allows for two handed casting, and a tight stroke, but will do the things you are expecting it to do very, very well. at Pyramid Lake we use 10-11' 5-6wt switch rods for just the reasons you have spelled out...ability to cast long leaders with indicators, and the ability to roll cast a mile. you will want a Rio Switch or Switch Chucker line in a matching weight or perhaps one grain weight above the target of the rod. note that you don't want a 12'+ rod because it will be difficult to generate enough power on the hookset, 10.5-11' is the sort of sweet spot in my opinion.

· Registered
544 Posts
forgot to add TFO, Echo, etc. have reasonably priced good quality rods available in this category, and don't skimp on the line because choosing the right one will make a world of difference. you definitely want an integrated one piece line for this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts