Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL!
First time to this forum, hope you can answer my post, if not, what other forum!
I just bouth this 9 foot 3 Pcs BamBoo Rod at a Flea market. It has absolutly no markings on it. Can anyone tell me what it is? What's worth? I paid $20.00 for it.
Many thanks, Ted

·
Registered
867 Posts
My guess is an old Montague, but that's a tough one.. You will probably find someone who can give you a positive ID if you post this on Clark's Classic fly rod forum.
Good luck,
Eric

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Pretty beat up, but for $20 fish it! I would look for markings on the reel seat that might give you an idea of who made the rod. There are a lot of crappy bamboo rods out there, so you need to know what you're buying if you're spending any significant amount of money. I'm currently starting a bamboo rod build on a rod a friend gave me and I don't know who made it, but it seems to have a good action.

Hopefully others will chime in, Kent on the board knows a lot and has given me some guidence on what rods to look for to fish and collect. You could also post on some of the rod building sites and see if they might know. I would take better pics though, including the guides.

Have fun fishing it!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Based on the reel seat, grip and ferrule design, it looks like a 1920-1940 Montague/Chubb. There were thousands of these made, so the value today isn't very high. A professional re-finish would cost about $50 per section, which you'd never recover.

These rods make good decorative wall hangers if you're into that sort of thing. A better option would be to refinish it yourself for fishing. As long as there are no structural defects and the ferrules are reasonably tight fitting, you might end up with a serviceable fishing rod. The old rods can be dramatically improved by scraping off all the old varnish & fingernalil polish, adding guides, and rotating the sections to eliminate any "spline." It really isn't that hard.

Tom

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A $20 beater like that is perfect to develop some bamboo refinishing skills on. If you ruin it: small loss. If you do a semi-competent job, you might turn it into a $50 - $100+ rod, and set yourself up for a new hobby. But if you're not interested, there's no moral obligation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.