Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a salmon trip to the Campbell River area on Vancouver Island BC this summer and would like to get some advice from anyone who has been there recently.

- We would like to target pinks and coho from the beaches and river mouths. Is there good public beach access in this area or will we need a boat?

- Are the flies and equipment used for the Campbell River area the same as for the Puget Sound region?

- Is Campbell River really "the Salmon Capital of the World"? That is, is catching them a sure thing?

- I read some nice things about the nearby Oyster River and Miracle Beach areas just south of Campbell River - what is your experience with these areas?

- Any suggestions for reasonably priced places to stay where we can walk to a fishing hole?

- If a guide is recommended in this area, any specific suggestions?

- Anything else we should plan for?

Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
campbell river is a damned hydro project. the very few lower river miles have moving water influenced by the regulating effects of the upstream dam's. discovery passage seperates CR from quadra isl. the currents are of sufficient force that you won't see any vessel traffic moving until close to slack, big tides, big currents. the tyee club still exists and the well maintained grounds are a pleasant place to hang around and watch the boat traffic work the currents. you probably won't be doing much catching without a boat and some experience in these sorts of current flows. when there used to be huge runs of chinook coming to campbell river, yes, it might have earned that title. today?? well its as bad there as anywhere else or as good there as anywhere else. mudge point is the scene of most of the salmon fishing. it can be a super dangerous place given the wrong winds and currents. i would head down on the floats at the marina and check out the guide services, plenty to choose from.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
I've done a little scouting up on the island while staying at a friend's house near the Cowichan Valley. During my reconnaissance, I came across 2 guys that might be helpful for you.

Dan Williams- used to fly fish guide in the salt and is based near Duncan. I think he's now solely a fresh water guy. He was helpful for me and might be willing to divulge some information around a pub table for you too. 250-746-7124.

DC Reid- haven't spoken to him but came across his advertisement as a ' BC fishing consultant'. Don't know his protocol on business operations, but worth the call. 877-610-1011.

Let me know how you do so I can revise this post if necessary (ie dead phone numbers).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.