Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the history. When married to my now ex-wife of many years ago, I was trying to get her interested in fly fishing. So...I ordered a customized rod directly from the Scott rod company for her and had her name put on the blank. The blank is the rough finish blank used by Scott. The rod is a nice rod but I find myself not using it because it has my ex-wife's name in it. It also kind of bothers my new wife who's been with me for years and she does fly fish with me. So...can I remove the name myself? Because it was done by the factory, I'd have to remove the old finish on that part of the rod and somehow remove the name, then revarnish that section of the blank. Obviously, I'm not a rod builder. I've tied flies and have fly fished all my life but never got into rod building or serious repair. What repairs I've done have been rather crude. I could really use some suggestions about doing this on my own so that I or my wife can "comfortably" use this rod. What kind of finish would Scott have used? Thanks!

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I think that your new wife might appreciate the symbolism of removing the ex's name from the rod and not simply covering it over. Of course, you would want the repair to be as good or better than the original (you traded up with her after all presumably (or at least that's your story)....).
Another alternative is to sell the old custom Scott and you and the new wife select a new rod together. That removes the symbolism of a "hand-me-down" and ensures her "buy-in" of the new rod from the start.
Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with zen. Send it to Scott and have them deal with it. If you do it yourself you will probably void the warranty. I've seen the process done on video and it doesn't look hard, but send it to Scott. At the very least give them a call.
Tight lines,
Keith

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that your new wife might appreciate the symbolism of removing the ex's name from the rod and not simply covering it over. Of course, you would want the repair to be as good or better than the original (you traded up with her after all presumably (or at least that's your story)....).
Another alternative is to sell the old custom Scott and you and the new wife select a new rod together. That removes the symbolism of a "hand-me-down" and ensures her "buy-in" of the new rod from the start.
Steve
Wanna buy a really nice rod with a gal's name on it? Not a bad suggestion other than the fact that my wife already has "her" six weight. I'm calling Scott on Monday.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Wanna buy a really nice rod with a gal's name on it? Not a bad suggestion other than the fact that my wife already has "her" six weight. I'm calling Scott on Monday.
Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm a Sage guy and already have full quivers in that size. My original thought, before I read that you had already remarried, was to suggest that you seek out a future bride (or at least girlfriend) with the same name as the ex. But you had negated that option already it appears and your new bride had negated one of my suggestions for disposal of the Scott.
Yeah, wipe the ex's name off the rod and refinish.
Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
The finish should not be of much concern. Any market finish will do the job i.e. flex coat, Thread Master etc.. Besides, Scott may use a custom formula which should not make that big a difference. The difference will be with the skill of the person who applies the finish. There are a lot of rod makers who can apply a really nice coat of finish and they all will have their own preferences on rod finishes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm a Sage guy and already have full quivers in that size. My original thought, before I read that you had already remarried, was to suggest that you seek out a future bride (or at least girlfriend) with the same name as the ex. But you had negated that option already it appears and your new bride had negated one of my suggestions for disposal of the Scott.
Yeah, wipe the ex's name off the rod and refinish.
Steve
I guess I should have waited to remarry until I found a gal with the same name. Although, I suppose I could ask my wife to change her name to that of my ex but I kinda think making such a suggestion might find me looking for yet another wife. <G>. Best to get rid of the name on the rod, I suppose.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I guess I should have waited to remarry until I found a gal with the same name. Although, I suppose I could ask my wife to change her name to that of my ex but I kinda think making such a suggestion might find me looking for yet another wife. <G>. Best to get rid of the name on the rod, I suppose.
Or find a girlfriend on the side with that name and have her fish that rod....;)
Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Break it over your knee. Set it on fire. Bury the ashes. Buy your wife a new rod. She's worth it.
But...I really like that rod. Had the same one but broke it. My wife said to just use it; that it doesn't bother her...but...you know how that goes. I had to respond to such a statement from her in the appropriate way i.e. That I want nothing with my ex wife's name on it. I sent an email to Scott, asking for info on the best solvent to use and what to refinish that area with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
But...I really like that rod. Had the same one but broke it. My wife said to just use it; that it doesn't bother her...but...you know how that goes. I had to respond to such a statement from her in the appropriate way i.e. That I want nothing with my ex wife's name on it. I sent an email to Scott, asking for info on the best solvent to use and what to refinish that area with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we were first dating, my wife said that it was ok that my last girlfriend used the same fork that she was now using. I didn't think that she really meant it, so I got rid of that silverware. So, I still think you should consider my recommendation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.