Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help. I just was getting my gear together for a week on the OP and my Ross CLA 6 drag is locked up. It's extremely hard to get any line to come out.

The knob on the side was lose and came off when I was trying to get it tightened.

Here are the pieces. I put everything back in the way that they came out and it's still extremely tight.

I tried to use a blow drier to dry out of discs (worked on a sage reel once) but it didn't make a difference.

Can anyone help me get this back together and have my drag work? I'd hate to lose a steelhead because of my drag. View attachment 134511 View attachment 134512

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm hoping someone can help. I just was getting my gear together for a week on the OP and my Ross CLA 6 drag is locked up. It's extremely hard to get any line to come out.

The knob on the side was lose and came off when I was trying to get it tightened.

Here are the pieces. I put everything back in the way that they came out and it's still extremely tight.

I tried to use a blow drier to dry out of discs (worked on a sage reel once) but it didn't make a difference.

Can anyone help me get this back together and have my drag work? I'd hate to lose a steelhead because of my drag. View attachment 134511 View attachment 134512
Those O rings look prettt shot. Your picture shows the tension knob taken apart but not the inside. If you take the spool off and look inside, the inner part is what spins. Make sure that doesn't have sand or some shit in it. If it spins freely with no resistance then it's likely those o rings aren't offering a smooth resistance because they are beat up. Also if you used that reel in salt, it needs to be washed I'm fresh water each time.

Maybe someone can chime in and comment if it would help to have a dab of oil on those rings

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Just use 30# tippet, steelhead don't care so you won't need much of a drag. Use 40# if you only hook large steelhead like most of us.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
If it wasn't for my truck currently not running and awaiting a shop appointment Id offer to meet you as you got off the ferry in Kingston, (assuming you're going that way), and loan you a reel but alas I'm stuck at home.

You're welcome to come by the house and grab it if you're out of options, but it's about 20 minutes out of your way

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't technically need a reel until Friday night. I have a good sage reel on my spey. I have 2 buddies coming to join me Fri night through Sunday and they don't have gear. I have one backup setup. I might just head to waters west one night and get a new reel if I can't fix this one.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
I don't technically need a reel until Friday night. I have a good sage reel on my spey. I have 2 buddies coming to join me Fri night through Sunday and they don't have gear. I have one backup setup. I might just head to waters west one night and get a new reel if I can't fix this one.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Stop at waters west and buy a cheapo Lamson reel that will last the next 10 years.

Send that receipt with your CLA back to Ross and tell them they suck!
I have to agree with this all the way around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.