Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, In an effort to increase the amount of water I can fish for bass and trout I am looking into getting a boat. There are a few lakes and the mighty Columbia near me that I can fish year round.

I have narrowed it down to 2 options, but if you have a suggestion please let me know

Option 1: Nucanoe Frontier 12,it looks like a great boat to stand and fly fish from, also i heard that kayaks do better in current than canoes the major Place I'll be fishin is the columbia

Option 2: old town discovery 133, reviews said this canoe was good for solo fishing, I have never been in a canoe so I don't know how well you can stand in it and cast.

Thanks and any insight you have is welcome, I have time off from school coming and I would like to take full use of each day!

G

·
You don't stand in canoes! The nucanoe is a nice boat my dad has one he uses and is supper sturdy. However the canoe has its points too, able to carry more passengers and gear, typically tracks better than most "kayaks". Having grown up fishing a canoe, i don't think you can make a bad choice here, both can be great boats. Also the nucanoe has an option for a small motor if desire

·
Registered
273 Posts
I spent many years fishing out of solo canoes on smaller rivers and lakes-that Old Town is a standout, great way to get around and fish. Definitely not for standing but I doubt that other craft is much better for standing and casting-but who needs to stand in order to cast?
Since you are asking that Nucanoe looks like a great marketing piece to me; but I'd go with tried and proven.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Admittedly, I'm biased, as I own a Frontier 12 & love it for certain applications (primarily those trips requiring more travelling than I'd care to do in a float tube or pontoon or while rowing a pram.). They are stable and paddle/track well, but while I have a lean-bar, I don't stand in mine - as I told my Son: "The boat is plenty stable; your old Dad is not & it puts me outside of my comfort zone." With the dolly wheel & a bed extender, I can load/unload & haul it easily in a 6' truck bed. I also like the high swivel seats.

I have owned & used canoes but never became a proficient canoeist; for me it was a lot easier to adapt to the Nucanoe (or any SOT kayak.). Good luck with your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.