Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to Hawaii next week and need to get serious about tying up some salt flies?? Any suggestions as far as what kind of flies or how big, ect??? I have never tied anything relevant to salt so I have no idea??

BTW: I will be thinking about all of you while im in Maui
:p :p :p

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, I was in Maui over the holidays and fished just about every night I was there. I fished from the breakwater of the Maalaea and off the beach in front of the condo near Maalaea. It was really fun fishing, but my catching wasnt as productive all the time. I did, however catch tons of what I think are called trumpet fish, or stick fish. They are long and skinny, and I caught them up to about 3.5 feet long. They were really receptive to pink clousers and other pink flies. They would take anything that was flashy or just in front of them, for that matter. So I would tie any kind of pink clouser pattern for those. If you are thinking about taking a charter boat when you are there, be sure to bring your fly rod. Because most boats use live bait to fish for marlin and the other large fish, they must catch the bait before they can use it. What most of them use are small tuna, and these fish, once found, will strike any lure of fly in the area. They would be an awesome fight on an 8wt, so I would reccomend bringing it along.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM.
crump:thumb

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
How will you be fishing? If it is strictly just having fun beach/flats/rocks on foot, stick to the simple classics. Clousers and deceivers(whey you expect to lose flies), Surf candies and sea habits (when you don't excpect to lose flies). Colors in everything from all white, to tan over white (very important over sand for some reason)to grey or olive over white, to chartreuse over white are always safe choices in ANY salty warm water spot. Everything from size 8 to 2. If you want to keep it simple Tan and white and chartreuse and white clousers should do the trick ;)

If you will be more serious and using a boat, it's a whole other story I don't have time to get into right now :eek

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Patrick, Lucky you! Will you be needing a caddy?...
Look up Nick Curcione's articles. I think he's a Scott Pro these days. He's written allot about saltwater flies for that area. My guess is big deceivers, some smaller stuff for the surf. and maybe a huge size 9/0 mustad shark hook with a basketball glued to it, and a bright red clown wig,hot melt glued to that, maybe use some 100 lb test tippett, and lash yourself to a truck bumper from the beach; if you are casting to those big sharks.Have fun down there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
try posting at www.danblanton.com - bulletin board is full of tropical /saltwater fly people.

I second the bonito/tuna fun on the flyrod - it's a blast and a 24" little tuna will wear your wrist out in a hurry.

You will need to clear it with the captain before setting out since they want to get the baits in quickly and generally don't have time to play them for fun.

there have been other posts on this site too.

Jim W

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending on the island and area you go, some of the shoreline/bay waters can provide you with the large Pacific Bonefish. I've heard they typically can be found near the openings in reef areas just on the inside where the tide is most likely to rip through. But yo might want to find out which reefs and islands they are found in any numbers. I think Honolulu and Lihue on Kau'ai have game department offices I would check with them as well as some of the local tackle stores and if there is a flyfishing store in HI somewhere I'd check that out too!Yea, I too caught a bunch of those trumpet fish on a fly rod. The smaller specie of Tuna would be another good target for the fly rod.
Good Luck! :beer2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.