Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Summer or winter. If it was summer time I would go with a 5wt, and if it was winter time I would go with a 7wt and if you were to get into some bigger fish a 8wt . So many choices and so little money.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
What do you expect to be fishing for? Trout? Sea Run Cutthroat Trout? Coho? Steelhead?

·
The Tug Is The Drug
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good questions guys! Obviously, I am not the only one too much time on my hands lol. Anyway, I have a 7 wt already that seems to do the job pretty well for beaches etc. I am looking more for a 6 wt I guess to throw streamers for big trout in rivers in summer and lakes in the fall for browns. Wife and I are going to Montana in late October for some fall fishing.

·
Tropical member
2,318 Posts
Here is my thought
streamer fishing - "bottom up" thinking

1) determine what size (weight) of fly you will be using
2) what fly line will carry it in the air comfortably
3) what rod will cast that fly line?

if you have a chance to peek into Rick Matney's fly box, you will agree he need a 10 weight for trout fishing.
it's squirrel head combine half chicken

·
Not Politically Correct
276 Posts
Man you guys are hard on "nwtroutguy". Reading between the lines he wants a new rod. Personally I have 4's, 6's, 8's, a 10, a switch and I've been wondering if I "need" a 5. What I think it comes down to is "want" more than "need". Of course a lot of people have to use the word "need" to justify it to the other half (wife, girlfriend). It's kind of like my wife saying she "needs" another purse or another pair of shoes.

·
The Tug Is The Drug
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Kim, you are absolutely correct! I don't necessarily need a new rod, but want one. I had chance to cast a B2x last year and loved it! I am simple trying to get some opinions from the guys ( which is always valuble in my opinion) before I commit. I work a freakin lot of overtime and want to treat myself. The wife knows this and is ok with it. I know they are only asking questions, so I don't mind too much.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Kelly Galloup designed a new rod with St Croix specifically for streamers called the "bank robber". It's a bit late on production (probably a couple months away) but it may be worth a trial cast.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Nwtrout,

Why not think a "little out of the box" and go retro' with a bamboo rod. Going with the latest and greatest in rods has never proven to actually catch any more fish for me. As an example you can still find a nice 1940's made in Denver, Granger (later Wright & McGill) 9050 for a 6 Wt. that will set you back around $350 (or less)complete with original sock, tube and 2 tips - way less if it's not that complete. It's a great streamer rod and is good for dries and nymphs too. Bamboo is a lot of fun and you'll be carrying on a real tradition. Slow down your casting stroke a little and just know that it will weigh a little more than todays graphite. Get an old Pflueger Medalist to pair with it and you're good to go.
The secondary collector market is strong for this gear and you will always be able to get out of it what you've paid - not usually the case with modern gear.
Think about it and give it a try. It'll add a whole new dimension and enjoyment to your time on the water. It has for me!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
You've got a 5 and 7 and want a 6, get the 6 in the BiiX that you covet if you want it, can afford it and have the permssion from the misses. I'd recommend that if you get a 6wt you consider one with a saltwater tolerant reel seat and fighting butt, so you can lighten up from your 7wt. Also, a 9'6" is a nice elevation benefit over the sloped beaches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love my Sage XP 6 weight for tossing heavy indy rigs and streamers... I think it is really more of a 6 1/2 weight... That thing is a CANNON!!!! And you can probably find them in good used condition for around 300 bucks or so...

-Alex

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
any flies under 5 inches, smooth action 7. anything big and business-like, i would just get a powerful 8 weight. The most versatile rod i know of is the 7 wt bllx. Can deliver dry flies delicately, and can throw some surpisingly large and heavy flies with a full sink. Much to rick's discontent! Its the best all purpose montana rod, by a long shot. Get a nice floater, i would recomend the rio clouser, and your favorite sinking line. Done deal.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Sage is releasing a new rod that's reported to be similar to the XP, which is an old favorite of many. It's priced well below the Z-Axis: the VXP may be worth a test cast.
I have an XP and Z in 6wt, and have cast them side by side. I like them both, but use the XP more often as it allows me to chuck heavy streamers a little better than the Z.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my thought
streamer fishing - "bottom up" thinking

1) determine what size (weight) of fly you will be using
2) what fly line will carry it in the air comfortably
3) what rod will cast that fly line?

if you have a chance to peek into Rick Matney's fly box, you will agree he need a 10 weight for trout fishing.
it's squirrel head combine half chicken
This is an excellent mindset for rod shopping, I would only add that if yoou know for certain what line you are going to use, buy it spool it up and go to your local fly shop and cast as many rods as they will let you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Cast a few rods, pick the one you like. Consider the Scott S4- it's a fantastic streamer rod (all around rod for that matter).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.