Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a chironomid line to use with a TFO 10' 5wt. You know the drill - it needs to turn over an indicator a couple of chironomids and 25' of leader (not tapered)

Should I stick with a 5wt on this rod or bump it up to 6wt?

I've always been a 444 peach kind of guy but was hoping for something that would work a little better with the standard deep water chironomid mess.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
476 Posts
The best I have found so far for this rod is Rio Windcutter line. I use the 5wt on mine. I have a Royal Wulff 5wt indicator line I'm going to try this spring but as to date the Rio is great. Several othes in our club have tried this same rig with great success. I have Sage RPL's in 10ft 5 and 4 wts, but much prefer the action of the TFO for chiro fishing. I fish a lot of deep stuff (20 - 25 ft). I like a short tapered leader at the top where the release indicator rides. It pops off on the thicker diameter line better than on 4x. I usually have at least one piece of split shot on whith this rig also and the Windcutter gets the job done. The Rio rep discouraged me from trying the Nymph or Grand line for this application. Windcuttter or perhaps the Gold roll casts much better. I tried the Nymph on my 4wt and it failed miserably. I have been using a 6wt GPX on my 5wt RPL, but the TFO with the Windcutter far out performs it. If I have to get much deeper than 25ft I go to a deep 6 sinking line and just vertical jig.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.