Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Tug Is The Drug
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip next year to Maine in early September. I am guessing we will fly into Bangor and then rent a car. It looks like Moosehead Lake Northwest of bangor is definitely a destination for Moose spotting/ watching and potentially a guided flyfishing trip on the lake for Brookies.

Has anyone on here fished/ explored Maine and can recommend some things to see and possibly a guide or fly shop as a starting point..?

Thank you in advance,

Jamie

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been going to that area for over 20 years. Couple of recommendations. If your looking for a true Maine Fishing/Hunting camp experience I recommend Maynard's (207) 534-7703, clean cabins, 3 meals a day, great people. If your looking for a guide I would call Maine Guide Shop (207) 695-2266. They don't actually have the shop anymore but still do guides. Might be tough to find a open date but these guys are great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another option for fishing in Maine in September is Grand Lake Stream which has a terrific land-locked salmon fishery. Weatherby's Lodge is a great spot and is within walking distance of the stream. There are a number of Youtube videos of fall fishing there which can be easily found. Lots of moose in the area too!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being a few hours south of there, I would definitely add the rapid river to your list-you may need a guide for that and it’s a bit of a hike but it’s worth it.

Good luck with the moose watching!

·
Registered
469 Posts
The Golden Road area over by Millinocket offers the landlocked salmon as well as some excellent trout fishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts