Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing with a Rio In Touch type V, it got a bad nick in it - I patched it, but after a couple more years the patch has failed, core exposed a bit... has a couple other small nicks...time for a new line.

I only use my full sink to get 20'+ fast, to "troll" buggers/leeches from one spot to the next, with a 4wt, so I would like a line that trolls somewhat evenly - as best as "technology" will allow.

After exhaustively searching for the "right line" I finally gave up. Figured there are probably guys here that have found themselves in a similar situation so...

Any suggestions for a new full sink for a 4 wt?

Thanks

Reactions: Methow

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
changing out my Rio sinking lines for SA lines. too many tangles/kinks to put up with.
I did/do have problems like that as well.

But who makes a comparable full sink in a 4wt, other than Rio and Airflo?

I love my Airflo Super Dri Elite (4wt), but need a full sink, and as I said above, they don't make a 4wt Sixth Sense...

Reactions: jake-e-boy

·
Jimmy z
153 Posts
I did/do have problems like that as well.

But who makes a comparable full sink in a 4wt, other than Rio and Airflo?

I love my Airflo Super Dri Elite (4wt), but need a full sink, and as I said above, they don't make a 4wt Sixth Sense...
You might try a scientific. Angler uniform full sink great line not sure about a 4 weight

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might try a scientific. Angler uniform full sink great line not sure about a 4 weight
Thanks, but not available in 4 :(

Herein lies your problem...4 weights are for finesse, sinking lines aren't.:D
I know, but I didn't get into lake fishing until just a few years ago - already had my "arsenal" of rods. In fact, I've sold a few.

Time for another rod? Wait... did I just really say that? :D

Reactions: Old406Kid

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If all you're doing is trolling then just buy the 5 wt line and fish it in your 4. No need to get all worried about matching the right line for dragging buggers round behind the boat. Besides I bet it would cast a 5 wt line no problem
That's what I've been doing for the last few years. I have a WF5S6 In Touch Deep now, using my Biix 4, or my Sage 490LL.

Problem is/was, I couldn't seem to discipline myself not to cast to active fish, just 20-30 feet from me.... I started getting lazy, and cast/strip to fish in shallow water when I had a boatman on. Worked great most times, which led to me getting out of remembering "Uh...4 WT LL, and a 5 WT full sink = broken in half LL.".

It broke while casting, totally my fault. Good news, Sage sent me a new LL blank, and I just built another one.

After your guy's input, I'm kinda rethinking this whole thing.

Now, I have to do it right. In fact, the more I think about it, I just need to get another rod. I don't really even want to throw a full sink on my Biix, even if it is sized for it. Biix rods aren't really known for the "duck-n-chuck" until you get up to the 6wt, which I have, but it's set up for indi fishing.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts
Cartland has a type 3 sink line. You buy & then add a 5-10 foot fast sink leader. I am trying this idea on some of my old sink tip/full sink lines ?
Will let you all know how it works or not. Like the idea of adding an intermediate sink leader to my old floating lines for those shallow weed bed spots.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cartland has a type 3 sink line. You buy & then add a 5-10 foot fast sink leader. I am trying this idea on some of my old sink tip/full sink lines ?
Will let you all know how it works or not. Like the idea of adding an intermediate sink leader to my old floating lines for those shallow weed bed spots.
That's a great idea. You'll have to let us know how it works out.

I'm still a little leary of throwing that kind of communication with my LL or iix though. If I was to do that with my 6 WT, I'd feel much more comfortable.

None-the-less, great idea!

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Airflo is good for one tight tangle and then it will crack there, just wait for it.. :) Still assessing Rio to see if any better.
I liked my Rio In Touch Deep, but man... did it get tangled up a lot. The crack/gouge on mine was totally my fault (as is all my gear failures). I got it caught in a pinch point on my toon and pulled on it making a cast. Really like the low stretch core. It's made 90% of the difference when fish aren't taking the fly aggressively at 20+' deep.

·
1,696 Posts
While I'm not a fan of Rio's dry line coatings, I've had ok luck with their sinking lines. To the best of my knowledge they are the only ones who make type 6 4 wt. It is in their mid-level series, which means you'll have to make/add your own loops on the ends or attach to it by something other than a loop-to-loop. I just got this very line, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

My experience is that all sinking lines, regardless of manufacturer, really benefit from a good stretch before using.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.