Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to do a 7 day self guided trip to Terrence BC for steelhead? I am finding airfares at a very reasonable prices. All I need is a motel and a rental car. Probably fish the Skenna river. What is the best time to fish for steelhead and maybe salmon up there? Thanks

·
Banned
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are killing me with these bad reports. LOL . I hear its great fishing up in BC. Heck I am 65 and want to fish some were in the NW before I die. I am on a fixed income so I am limited on what I can spend.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
The first thing you need to understand without some real good planning, logistically you can't do a 7 consecutive day, self guided trip for steelhead during the prime time as most rivers are classified and you won't be able to fish without a guide on the weekend and on some rivers, on Friday. The best time to go is during the classified season. Get a copy of the regulations and look for the CW emblem next to the river. The best time to go is when that is in effect. Of course, weather can and will certainly play a role in that as well.

Secondly, I'm all for helping a guy out but don't expect to get a lot of help on specifics from the board. While I like self guided trips too, part of the process of being successful is paying your dues. If you can't/won't do that, then you should probably get a guide for part of your stay to help lessen the learning curve.

The Skeena can be good in the early fall around Terrace as many fish are moving through to upriver tributaries. But it is big water and not very easy to read. Unless you are able to do a lot of scouting, walking/wading, and reading water, you probably won't be very successful without local help or a guide.

There is a start; a few things to consider. Next researching guides, shops, and the internet will be good place follow up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What BDD is correct - a guide is very critical if you want to find steelhead.

I am doing research on steelhead fishing in July myself as I am flying into Vancouver as well.

The airfares are very good during the summer which attracted me.

Skeena river is very attractive but the lodge: Nicholas Dean is very pricey!

Check out the video I dream of one day:

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Another thing, without a boat (drift, inflatable, or jet) you will be hard pressed finding steelhead by yourself the first time there. If you go in August when the salmon are running, you can get into fish by yourself on foot but steelhead is a different beast, literally and figuratively.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.