Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving friday for Hawaii and not quite sure what to expect with my fly rod situation. I have an 8 wt 2 piece in an aluminum case?? Has anyone got any info on what to expect or how to secure the rod in the tube?? I was thinking I will have to check it in, but then someone told me at the local flyshop you can store it on the aircraft up front in a storage area?? I have tried phoning the airline but they are not sure??

Plus if I have to check it in, how could I secure it so the cap doesnt come unscrewed and the rod walks away or gets busted???

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or experience in this area?? Thanks

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest keeping your equipment on you at all times! I had a situation where they "accidently" put my fly rod on a different flight so I had to wait around at the airport for 4 extra hours to wait for my flyrod! So now I pack it with me. If you do check it in, just use some packing tape and wrap over the end of the tube a couple times then around the end. That has worked for me in the past as well. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I travel a lot with fly rods and the first thing I have learned is to avoid vacationing with two piece rods. Unless you find an extremely friendly gate agent, you will not be allowed to carry it on. Even a three piece rod is just larger than the carry-on regs, but you can often get away with it.

Checking the rods is then the default option. I really doubt you will have any trouble with this; yes, everyone has a horror story, but that's the same for any kind of luggage. But, if you ever do go through somewhere that has an extremely high flyrod/wealth ratio (like, say, the bahamas or belize) the luggage handlers know $$ when they see it and may well try to open your rod case. Tape only does so much; I have a DB Dun rod case that actually locks in the zipper that I always take; someone could of course still rip the nylon open with a knife but usually that extra bit of trouble is worth it.

Circlespey

G

·
I just got back from San Diego last night, and I flew my fly rod in a gun case. The reason is that it clips shut better, is exactly the right length, and it has egg crate type foam that holds the rod right in place and keeps it from banging around. I checked it, but it came through just fine, but you'll want to look for it in the 'oversized and odd-shaped luggage' chute if you check your rod. I had no problem with it getting lost, and I fly a lot and have never had lost baggage, often odd-shaped.

Good luck and have fun! :thumb

Teeg.

G

·
You are not supposed to lock any checked luggage since 9/11. My wife travels a lot and they have broken her lock and left a note saying they are required to get in any bag or package they want. If they want to steal something there is no way to stop them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I recently flew to Cabo and had some "dudes" with 3 piece 14 foot surf rods check them with the stewardess....I bet they will be OK on the Hawaii route since they get odd mixes of fun-gear all the time - boards, fins, fishing stuff....

I don't know how aluminum scans, so be prepared to pull everything out of the tube. For kicks, put a sight and a trigger on your tube and see what happens.

Flies on the other hand should go in your luggage - apparently a 2/0 hook is a lethal weapon.

Jim W

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.