Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here - I found it while searching the web for information on fly fishing in Washington. I don't mean this to be a needless hello, though; I found this forum in hopes of helping someone I work with.

He has a 5 year old grandson who is apparently dying of cancer. I'm not asking for money, or even time - I'm asking for fly fishing spots. His brother is in town today, with his boat, and would like to take him out fishing. We're near Seattle, and I assume that he'd like spots on the West side of the Cascades. Rivers or lakes would be great - good spots, maybe something slightly scenic, where he could have fun. No difficult hikes - we're dealing with a grandfather and a young, sick kid. Lakes (or specific places in lakes, for example Lake Washington or Lake Sammamish) would work as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Ryan Collins

·
Whammo!
494 Posts
Hey Ryan,

I would suggest Rattlesnake Lake (exit 34?) up in North Bend. There are plenty of fish in the lake ( stocked with rainbows and triploids ) it offers some scenery with some solitude depending on the weather and the park on shore. For boats I don't think you can use gas motors on the lake ( correct me if I am wrong WFF members ). Sorry to hear about your friends grandson and best wishes,

Mike:thumb

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Your correct Mike. No gas motors on RS.

Ryan, can you add how they intend to fish. Gear, bait, fly. Given the lads age I would think bait might be involved which Rattlesnake doesn't allow. There are plenty of lakes around to suit and I'm sure we can come up with a list for you.

Chris

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Pine lake in Issaquah would be a great place for kids - you can use bait or flies. There is a rough boat launch.

Rattlesnake lake is in North Bend and is a decent place to fly fish or fish other single barbless \ no bait methods. It is also very scenic and has a rough boat launch - electric motors only.

Rivers are a little harder. Most require some wading and\or hikig along rocky banks to get to the good water. Stopping by the SF Snoqualmie (pick your exit in or above North Bend) and fishing near one of the bridges in the late evening may provide some small fish on a dry fly.

The bigger lakes you mentioned can fish well, but unless you know them well, your probably better off in one of the smaller lakes I noted. Although fishing near some structure or lilly pads could lead you to some bass or perch in those lakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Needed: Recommendations for 5 spots in Western Was...

Thanks for the speedy replies! I talked with my coworker. His grandson will just be fishing with a spinner, probably with worms, shrimp, and maybe some lures.

The boat is a bass boat with a gas motor. He wasn't sure about length, but apparently it's a very nice boat that his brother won in a fishing competition(!).

I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again,

Ryan Collins

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts

In that case Pine would be OK, or either of the big lakes. Worm under a bobber for perch on lake samm or lake WA would be good. Another fun lake that has a variety of fish to target is LK Meridian in East Kent. It is boat friendly. Just don't go on a sunny day or expect lots of skiers...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Here's just an idea with a guarantee you will get fish.
Children must catch fish to have fun and get hooked on the sport. Also, they really don't care what kind of a fish it is just so long as it is a fish. I'm going to be talking small (some big) flounder, sole or flat fish of some type.
There are so many in the place I am going to describe that you just can't miss, the boy will just have a blast.
Come over to my side of the Sound. When you cross the bridge over the Hood Canal, look at the water just to your right when you near the end of the span. That is ground zero, particularly just on your side of the small island. There is a shallow bar there and it is full of fish.
Exit to the right just after the bridge and then hook another right immediately after your turn. You will now be on a road that ends in a ramp that leads to the Hood. Turn the boat away froom the bridge, motor up about a 1'4 of a mile and drop your hook in about 30ft. Break out the cold ones and help the boy with his needs. You should not fish, just help. Clams, shrimp, or most anything will work.
If you decide to eat the fish, you must bring an ice box, clean or fillet the fish immediately and put them on ice.
They spoil very quickly.
Bob:thumb :thumb :thumb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.