Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if it Possible to replace the cork handle on my Mint Orvis T3 5 wt rod......Cork was Damaged and now has indentations and low spots....Is there any way of getting a new cork handle on the rod without taking off all the guides/ eyelets ...The rod is New except the Cork, ???? Tank You Mike
Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Writing implement Metal

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of cork dust and some weldwood cement applications to the low spots...After cleaning and prepping the low spots??? I was looking on Youtube.............. ??? Thaks Mike

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd try to remove it from the reel seat end by removing the reel seat. Its easier to get a perfect seating of the cork from the guides-end, but should be doable if you are careful. However, a professional may be better at removing the seat without damaging the seat. It requires enough heat to break down the glue while not burning the seat...very tricky stuff.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
How many pieces is the rod? You should only have to have one or two guides removed to get to the cork handle, if it's a four piece rod. You want to work from the top down when you ream out the new cork handle to get the best fit. Removing the reel seat is possible, but a real pain and you can easily damage the reel seat.

Is it a custom or factory rod? If it's custom, then only the blank is warrantied by Orvis.

You can contact Orvis as well, but with an older rod they will typically offer you an upgrade. That cork is pretty bad and no amount of filler is going to stay on the rod for any length of time.

The only other option would be to sand the handle down and narrow it quite a bit, but that would be my last option. You may not enjoy the rod as much if the handle is too small (narrow).

·
I fish
268 Posts
There is also a technique where you can sand down the existing cork to a cylinder and use it as an arbor for the new grip.
You still need to remove the reel seat, but you don't have to worry about the grip having the wrong taper for sliding it on from the butt.
Personally I would remove the grip and guides from the bottom section, install a new grip and winding check, and rewrap the guides. You don't need to remove the reel seat in this case (which can be difficult and damage the blank). Rewrapping guides is the easiest part of this effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.