Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an on going effort to form a Federation of Fly Fishers club in Ellensburg (spearheaded by Steve Worley, of Worley-bugger's Fly Shop) with the club's focus on the Yakima. The main idea that came out of the meeting is to have a club that is more active with conservation/preservation projects on the Yakima (not so much in the way of improving fly casting skills, though everyone would admit they need that).

If you fish the Yak, have an interest in helping preserve and improve this fishery, there will be a meeting on Tuesday, November 12th at 6:00 p.m. at the Ellensburg Inn. The meeting will be run by some of the council members of the Washington state board. Come check it out! You can get more info on Steve Worley's web site

worleybuggerflyco.com.

Doesn't matter whether you're a westside or eastside fly fishermen/fisherwomen(or would like to become a fly fishermen) everyone and anyone is welcome to attend and join the club.

Thanks!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
416 Posts
New FFF club starting up in Ellensburg for Yakima River

Greg, how the Tri-Cities treatin' ya!

After a Bar-B-Que and a drink, the State FFF counsel members gave a talk on how to become an official chapter. I think that those in attendance welcomed the idea of a club out of Ellensburg. I look forward to beginning this thing! I am a member of another great, however distant club (I moved) and would like to see another great chapter (near me). The only question addressed is whether we affiliate or become a charter club. If we ALL buy an FFF personal membership, we will have an affiliated club. Great! The club is official and is instantly established. However, what about the money to rent a room once a month? The budget to get a speaker or rent a slide projector so that guy in the club can show you their fishing trip (otherwise known as good entertainment at little cost to the club)? Expenses etc... That money comes in part from your annual dues. Just by purchasing a personal FFF membership, you do nothing for the functionality of the club. You do however make a donation to a great cause that employs lobbiests (which the club does not)...

The other option is to have 10% of the members buy a personal membership and we become a colony for a year. Those that don't buy the membership will be investing their "dues money" 100% into the club's functionality (and the clubs private investment into conservation issues). We are going to be dead broke to start off and will be running on fumes until our first Fall/Winter fund-raiser (Hopefully which happens THIS winter). This is something that we should all be thinking about because we are expected to know what our decision will be 11/12/02-6:00 PM, Ellensburg Inn. If you have ideas, post them or feel free to email me.

Also, conservation is often just one facet of a club and club monies will be delegated toward these things... What else do you want to do? This club is more than a non-profit business who addresses ecological concerns on the Yak, it is a social fishing club where you meet people that you may not have met before (or maybe didn't want to interrupt on the river). Maybe you'll be working side by side picking up trash and putting up awareness signs, or maybe the club will plan a summer outing to some pretty stream in Idaho where you will really get to know some person(s) in the club. You share experiences and learn from these people. It's awesome. I'll see you guys on the 12th. I am the young guy yesterday with the beard wearing the funky felt hat.

-Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sparse (Farmer's Insurance, right), the Tri-Cities are really cold!! Looks like Wednesday thru Friday may warm up some and some cloud cover/rain. Probably will head up to the Yak as this type of weather pattern will help the BWO hatch.

As for the new club, I'd like to see the club charge a little bit more than the $29.00 for an annual FFF membership (like maybe $35.00 -$40.00). Some of the extra money, along with what comes back from the FFF national association dues that are kicked back to the club could be used for the signage at the put in / take outs, regarding fishing regs and also launch & take out ettiqutte. Next something needs to be done about toilet facilites at Bighorn and the "Slab". The campers at the Slab really leave a mess (lots of TP & crap!).

Wilson Creek and the sediment that flows into the Yakima from that creek, created by the farmers with poor irrigation practices is another project. This one will be tougher and require a lot of money.

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
14 Posts

If I could drive down to Ellensburg I would be a member of the FFF. But since I can't drive, I can't be a member. I live right next to the river though so I can still pick up garbage whenever I go fishing. Well, thanks for the insite and sorry I can't be a member.

Michael

"I like fly fishing"

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Flyfisher14, you can still be a member even if you are not able to attend the meetings. The club isn't about attending meetings but is more about trying to see that the quality of the river is preserved for everyone to enjoy. I'm sure that there will be members from the Yakima area that would give you a ride to a meeting, as well. I live in the Tri-Cities and have to pass through Yakima, I'll give you a ride, no problem! When the committee that volunteered to organize the club gets more of the club established (sets the dues rate, picks a name, drafts by-laws and incorporates as a non-profit club, etc.) I'll update the info (about meetings, membership drive/dues) on this site.

We love to have as many members as possible, so tell your fly fishing friends (also tell your friends that don't fly fish yet, they may want to learn).

Thanks!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.