Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having only been out on the water a couple of times it goes without saying that I need some advice in becoming a better fly fisherman! I have been lucky in my endeavors to say the least! My first real fly fishing trip was to Alberta, Canada and notoriously some of the best fly fishing in the world. This is where I caught my first fish, about a 14 inch cutt throat trout on the Livingston River. After doing so, I lived up to a promise of buying a fishing rod. Well... the first rod I purchased is an Orvis Helios 904-4 mid flex. Not a bad rod I might say; however, being a new fisherman I don't know the difference between a good rod or a bad rod! My question is this... I need a cool looking reel to go along with this beautiful rod and I'm not sure what would look good with it? I have heard time and time again that reels don't do anything but hold line, but I disagree! I think reels are supposed to look cool! Please help me with some suggestions. Keep in mind that this rod looks kick ass and the carbon fiber case that accompanies it is equally as cool! Thanks for your help!
Eric N.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The gold BK Large Arbors are the reels I recommend with the Helios rods I sell. The new Mirage lightweights when they are released will be the one you'll want. They were designed to be light enough for the Helios rods.

By the way, congrats on buying the best rod you can buy.

Leland.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Welcome to the WFF board!

You've purchased arguably one of the best rods available. It (and you) deserve a nice reel. You've gotten some great comments, above.

What's your budget?

IMHO, Leland gave you a great option, probably the best option for your Helios. The Battenkill large arbor is light, has a great drag, a great value, and the spools are easily changed as well as affordable. Plus, its color matches perfectly with your Helios.

What fly line did you get for your rod? A fly line can make or break the performance of a fly rod, and is arguably one of the most important components of your fly fishing package . . .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would pick up the Galvan T5 that Yellowlab has for sale a few posts down. I have two and they are light weight. I think it would be fine on a 4wt rod and they look great. Especially in the bronze that he is selling.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The gold BK Large Arbors are the reels I recommend with the Helios rods I sell. The new Mirage lightweights when they are released will be the one you'll want. They were designed to be light enough for the Helios rods.

By the way, congrats on buying the best rod you can buy.

Leland.
Also Eric,

If you decide to go with Orvis, give me a call and I'll ship your reel and anything else, for that matter, free.

Leland.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Not to rain on Orvis products, as they are good. You should also consider the Litespeed 2.0 if you're wanting the lightest reel to balance your Helios, which is the lightest rod in its class out there. I have two, one in guide finish, one a limited edition release in titanium finish with laser etched serial #. $200 and $225 respectively. I still think that the Litespeed has the 'cool' factor compared to many traditional looking reels. You won't be disappointed with either the Galvan or the Litespeed, but I think the Litespeed will mate better with your rod.

Here is the link to the Litespeed: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...Alox-2-0-Series-1-limited-edition-382-of-1000

·
The Good Ol' Days are Now!
89 Posts
Go to the big auction site and search "fly reel" for a few days and read the listings. Then use the big serch engine to research those that catch your fancy. You'll be up to speed in no time.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Those are good reels other mentioned, but I would stick with Orvis to have a nice matching outfit. As Leland mentioned-take a look at the Mirage also.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would check out an Abel with a fish graphic. To each his own, but I think they ARE the coolest looking reels on the market and they are also one of the best. Perhaps a Super 4 with your favorite trout finish (or maybe the cutt to commemorate your first flyrod fish). Now that said they ain't cheap but keep an eye on ebay. You can usually find one for a fair less than MSRP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.