Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new line for my single hand 8-weight. I plan on doing a fair amount of beach fishing this summer but likely more out of my boat. I'd like to have one line that I can use for coho out at westport and beach/boat fishing in the south sound. Would I be better off getting two lines? I am fairly new to saltwater flyfishing so I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'm not sure the location of the fishing matters as much as the techniques you will be employing. From the beach a floating or intermediate sink line is usually the weapon of choice. Typically most people will pick an integrated shooting head such as the Rio outbound, airflo 40+, or similar line to get a bit of extra distance (presentation is usually not as important). If this line will work for the type of fishing you are doing at Westport than one line will work. However if you are planning on fishing deeper in the water column than you may want a faster sinking line for boat work.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Welcome Mr. Grylls,
If you can only buy one line you'll have to decide which one it will be. Some from the beach will say it would be a floater. Some might say the intermediate from the beach. I have both for fishing from the beach. If you expect to be in a boat over deeper water and needing to get down deeper than a leader on floater or intermediate can reach you'll need a sinking line or some shooting head system. If you need to do it on the cheap you can make a shooting head of 30' or so of heavy sinking line like T-14, loop or tie it to your backing and use it. That probably won't cast worth a crap, but it will get the flies down for some jig like presentations, trolling or such. I don't know of any beach locations where I'd need that type of sinking head (or maybe I shoud use one and don't know about it) but I go to the beach with a floating and intermediate Airflo 40+. Good luck.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Something to keep in mind if looking at the 40+ intermediate with the floating running line. It is available in two different sink rates, slow and fast.

·
does not play well with others
24 Posts
last year i used an outbound, the full floating line with (or without) an intermediate versa leader. it worked really good. and i also liked the extra distance.

i would think you would be happy with that line.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
The Outbound is a great beach fishing line. It's heavily weighted up front and shoots well. The new running portion doesn't tangle as much as the old floating portion. But, if you're fishing from a boat, you'll want to get deeper so you might try a SA Streamer Express. I have a 250 grain that I have fished both from a boat and from the beach and a 450 grain model that I use in a boat. Both cast very well and get down to the fish. I'd try to demo a line or two before I bought one. They are a significant investment that we don't always take into account when we talk about flyfishing set-ups. I wonder how many of us have thounsands tied up in numerous lines we use for various fisheries?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Consider Allen Fly Fishing too, a sponsor that has affordable lines if your budget can't yet afford the lines you seek. I don't think he has the shooting head type lines but has weight forward and double tapers that float and he does have intermediate and sinking lines too. Not sure if they will fit your needs. Check him on the sponsor listing and check out his site Allen Fly Fishing. I just got a handful of his floating lines and they look very nice. I can't wait to get them spooled and field tested.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Hi Bear,

You might consider a system like the Rio Versi Tip. You get a running line, and a wallet of 15' tips, floating, intermediate, and a couple of full sinking tips. You then buy 30' of T14, or T18, and cut out a 5', and 10' tip, which leaves you with a 15' length as well. It won't cast quite a s well as an Outbound, but you cover all bases with one spool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.