Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Great site, glad I found it.

I'm interested in getting my son and I setup for fly fishing this year and had a few questions. While I'm new to fly fishing, I'm no stranger to fishing in general. I currently live in Issaquah, but grew up in Wenatchee and fished for years growing up. I'm wanting to get my soon-to-be 9 year old son out there this year and am looking for some advice on a decent starter combo and local shops in the area.

I'm going to guess 7-8ft 4-5 weight with a decent flex? How about for me? I've looking online a bit, but am far from apposed to shopping and supporting local shops.

Also any recommendations for our first few outings; i.e., locations, time of year, etc..

Considering a full day tour out of Red's on the Yakima to set the hook and get him stoked. Looking for advice on best times of the year for that as well. Guessing possibly later in the summer, but not sure.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

· Inactive
1,974 Posts
Don't wait, trout are hungry on the yakima and Red's can set you straight without breaking the bank, highly suggest heading to reds, even if just to chat up the shop rats (hi Max)

Orvis, echo, allen, etc. all have nice little starter setups, 9' 5wt or 6wt would be my suggestion, helps on them windy days

· Registered
198 Posts
I got Eagle Claw glass rods for my boys and overlined them. Cheap and they are way tougher than a graphite rod. Then you just have to find a reel and line which ends up costing more than the 25$ rod. They are cool rods for being so cheap (amazon). Lots and lots of feedback to the kids to help them with learning to cast via the soft rods and heavier line. They won't bomb a far cast tho.

· Jeff Cheng
376 Posts
Welcome to the site. Any thoughts on what type of fishing you're interested in? It might help when giving suggestions. A budget would also be helpful.

As for shops, Creekside Angling behind the Wells Fargo on Gilman is a great shop that is close by. Orvis in Bellevue downtown is excellent and also has free intro to fly fishing classes.

As for locations, if your son hasn't fished much in the past, I'd try to get out on one of these local lakes for the opener or soon after. Easy action and is a good way to learn the basic mechanics of "fighting" a fish with a fly rod.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies folks. I really appreciate it. I should have been more clear, I'm primarily interested in fly fishing for trout in rivers and streams. We have our occasional bait fishing fun in Eastern Washington on the Columbia during long weekends over the summer. What I'm really interested in is having some fun with my boy closer to home, getting outside and obviously catching some fish would be a bonus. I grew up with my once-trusty Mitchell wading the Entiat, Scrambling the rocks of the Tumwater and hiking the Icicle. I understand I'm not going to necessarily find that on this side of the mountains, but looking for some of those same characteristics. Something we can hike a bit is ideal or at least something with multiple access points that we can stop and go from the banks. Does that even exist anymore? Access was never really an issue growing up on the east side, but sure seems like it's gotten a lot tougher.

I'm going to go hit Creekside Angling this afternoon (thanks for that tip) and am considering signing my son and I up for their upcoming class in May. Looks like it's broken up into a two part deal where the first is in store and then they have a couple hours of casting at a local river. May be worth it. Also, that full day tour out of Red's sounds like a great time too. I just need to talk to the wife about it. I think it would blow his mind. His birthday is coming up next month, so maybe a new combo setup would be a cool gift.

Again, many thanks for the advice and info. Keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
The wisest expenditure is casting instruction from a competent teacher, for both of you. One can learn fly casting at a beginner level in 20-30 minutes. Without it, it's like chasing chickens, or trying to catch an angry goose.

G

·
Echo rod with Airflo Line. I agree with svinyard regarding over-lining. Spending the money on a quality line is more important than the rod for a beginner IMHO.

Great age to get him going, it will bear good fruit his entire life. Good job dad!

· Banned
5,469 Posts
Again, many thanks for the advice and info. Keep it coming. I really appreciate it.
Bruce, definitely hit the free event at Red's this weekend that Randy mentioned above. It would be fun and educational for both of you! There are free classes for beginners - and even one for kids along with other fun stuff for kids: Kid's Fly Casting, Archery, and BB Gun Range! I know it is last minute, but you might consider bringing your wife as there is a class for women too. Who knows, fly fishing might turn into an activity for the entire family!

If this is too short of notice, then maybe you can hit the big Fly Fishing Fair in Ellensburg put on by the WA Federation of Fly Flyfishers. (FFF) It is on May 5 & 6th. Admission is only $5.00, although some of the classes have an additional fee. It will have some of the best casting instructors in the state giving lessons. There will be lots of free seminars on fishing opportunities around the state as well as lots of fly tying demonstrations. Many members of this forum attend and/or tech there so you might meet some new fishing buddies. You may meet some old friends too as the Wenatchee Fly Fishing club usually teaches kids fly tying. Plus, there is even an all-day workshop for kids! (there is also a women's casting class)

YOUTH WORKSHOP: 9:00AM-3:00 PM SATURDAY

You may sign up for this workshop on our registration section on our website. Go to www.wsciff.org, link onto "Fly Fishing Fair", go to "registration" and sign up. This work shop includes lunch and a fly rod kit at the end of the class. You will be introduced to fly tying, fly casting and fly fishing techniques. The event starts at 9AM with Mike Koslosky's class "Match The Hatch", at 10AM fly tying class with a professional fly tyer, 11 AM will be casting instruction, lunch, afternoon of casting or fly tying - your choice. Cost is $40

https://wscifff.org/index.php/fly-fishing-fair/fly-fishing-fair-welcome

(See the dropdown menus for more details)​

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a ton everybody! Wow what a great site. Bummed I didn't look this up sooner and learn about the event at Red's this weekend. I don't think we can swing it--just too much going on with kid's sports this weekend. Don't know if it would be worth the trip to get there mid-afternoon or not. Just got back from Creekside and I like the fact that their classes are small (think it's 5), but looks like they are full up until first part of June. May have to pay a bit more and schedule a private through them. Grabbed one of the guide's cards and was told to give him a ring. Sounds like they're willing to make something work. Going to call Red's and see if they're setup to offer their 101 class and then do a half day tour immediately following. Not sure if they do that or not. If they do, that may be a cool option.

Really appreciate all the replies. Thanks again! This is going to be (snag) fun!

· The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
Two things you should never try to teach anyone you love:
1. How to drive
2. How to fly fish
3. How to rock climb.
4. How to ski.
According to my experiences, I expanded on your recommendations!

Each "how to" is bound to elicit a "f*** you!" ;)

· Registered
3,763 Posts
I would say a near by river that might fit the bill for you is the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. You can hike and fish miles of it. Summer time, lower water, wet wading, bigger bushy flies, willing cutties (although small) and not technical.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.