Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is totally off fishing topic but being new to the area not knowing too many locals yet, ya'll have become my go to community. I wanted to ask some of you transplants from other states if you have experienced going through an awkward transition. My wife and I are going through a weird funk. Some bad mojo floatin around the house.

It's been almost 2 months now in the Seattle area. Plenty of people have warned us that it gets depressing here during the winter but didn't think too much on it. I lived in Chicago for most of my adult life (my wife also), so we're used to cold dark winters, but it's a different darkness/coldness that we haven't experienced.

We're both going through some awkward mood swings (especially the highly explosive estrogen bomb half). Superficial, meaningless little things that shouldn't be an issue are. I hope it's just a phase that we need to grind through.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Hit the refresh button.
Date nites- game nites- love notes on her pillow. Send her a card in the mail. keep her occupied- set up things to do. Dont ask her, just take the initiative and do it.
This weather and dark days are always a tough time of year.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
It's solstice today. The days will get longer. Things are improving. Stay positive.

Take your wife to someplace awesome that is outside. I find wide open spaces and water to be best. Maybe get a ride to fish blackmouth in the salt (always helpful for me). Get in a raft, go skiing. Exercise is also helpful.

I totally get the funk you are talking about. You need to deal with it. I have found success doing some of the things outlined above.

Go Sox,
cds

Reactions: Augy

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Its the lack of sun. We don't get much sun in the winter. Constant grey drizzle. Most think things come to a standstill when it snows here. In actuality it is the few sunny days that we get in the winter that cause the most problems. Everyone calls in sick on sunny days and business crawls to a stop.

Look the sun is out. Wonder if there are any early steelhead in the river? I'm gonna find out.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This is totally off fishing topic but being new to the area not knowing too many locals yet, ya'll have become my go to community. I wanted to ask some of you transplants from other states if you have experienced going through an awkward transition. My wife and I are going through a weird funk. Some bad mojo floatin around the house.

It's been almost 2 months now in the Seattle area. Plenty of people have warned us that it gets depressing here during the winter but didn't think too much on it. I lived in Chicago for most of my adult life (my wife also), so we're used to cold dark winters, but it's a different darkness/coldness that we haven't experienced.

We're both going through some awkward mood swings (especially the highly explosive estrogen bomb half). Superficial, meaningless little things that shouldn't be an issue are. I hope it's just a phase that we need to grind through.
Augy, aside from Ive's singularly playful advice...

You've displayed some remarkable energy in your pursuit of Searun Cutthroat. Spend just a small amount of that effort following Peyton's advice (above) and you'll likely be well regarded by your better half.

And remember, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a real thing for some people. Keep it Light!

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Its the lack of sun. We don't get much sun in the winter. Constant grey drizzle. Most think things come to a standstill when it snows here. In actuality it is the few sunny days that we get in the winter that cause the most problems. Everyone calls in sick on sunny days and business crawls to a stop.

Look the sun is out. Wonder if there are any early steelhead in the river? I'm gonna find out.
I approve of this! Myself, I will be heading out to explore the fishing potential on a local beach or two, while enjoying the sun and light offshore breeze. :)

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Part of living in the NW, especially the wetside.

Personally from a weather standpoint, I can't think of many better places to live.
Not too hot, not too cold. Sure it rains, but that is part of the program. Many that move here have come to enjoy it, some never do.
I'd rather rust and grow moss then melt or freeze.

With the longer days and once we pop a 60-70 degree day in February which happens almost yearly, things will get better.

Google "Seattle Freeze" for some laughs.
SF

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
What he said.
We do have plenty of grey days, true. But we don't have many days that are super cold, with a wind chill on top, like Chicago with the GLs. Ditch the umbrella and get out there. It's a beautiful city with tons of stuff to do, year round. Give it a chance and you'll grow to appreciate it.
Spark your wife wherever you land.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Great chance to focus on your relationship. Come up with things to do together. Doesn't have to be over the top. And look for any chance to do something nice for the other. You'll be amazed at how kind actions are reciprocated and you both start feeling better.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Well, when you are standing in line and talking to folks buying groceries, and the whole "summer starts on the 4th of July" talk comes out, you will realize it is correct a good 80% of the time. Last year was a total fluke.

Honestly, if it is December and you are bummed, oh my. Wait until kids are playing soccer in mud in May and baseball schedules have a ton of rainouts.

It can be 49 degrees and rain any day/any month of the year. There is a reason we have huge evergreens and not pine or palm trees.

Plan a quick trip to Arizona or Hawaii..even for a few days if feasible. Las Vegas and walk the strip daily in April/May.

You can always hope for that good, 20% decent Spring (it is less than 20% usually, but will keep hopeful-last year was a mean tease for newcomers who made it to season 2).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate the encouragement everyone. I booked us for Leavenworth this weekend. (thanks squatchin!) Been looking for a unique place to take the family this Christmas within reasonable distance and wow, Leavenworth seems like the perfect Christmas destination. I bet it'll be a madhouse but that hustle and bustle of the holidays may be just what the doctor ordered. Some good old fashioned Christmas spirit should brighten things up. Any must visit places/restaurants in Leaven"worth" mentioning? ;)

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
She might also be missing friends and family, especially during the holidays. I knew no one except my husband when I moved here. The first year here was very difficult as I missed everyone so much. Visits from loved ones helped as did lots of phone calls. We eventually developed new friends and a strong social circle. Still, holidays were hard and the first Thanksgiving and Christmas were very painful. Maybe you could encourage a friend or family member to come visit soon. We had lots of visitors and showing off our new state helped us fall in love with it!

We also made a point to get out of town and explore every weekend. We headed out to see the 4 corners of the state, including the ocean and the islands, and absolutely loved it! On Monday mornings, coworkers were anxious to hear where we'd been that weekend and we often heard "Wow, I've lived here all my life and have never been to X." Exploring and learning about our new incredibly beautiful state definitely helped take my mind off missing everyone.

·
Strictly FF
407 Posts
For a day trip, go to Crystal Mountain ski area (not to ski), take the gondola to the top of the mountain, and have lunch up at the restaurant up there. Spectacular views, at over 6000ft

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.