Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I noticed they didn't have the price listed for their new rods yet. Are they too ashamed or have they just not determined the price? :rofl:

Not to jack your thread Stonefish but I have a question for the group that probably doesn't warrant a new thread.

I started browsing their website since I know very little about Loomis rods. I came across their Czech nymphing rods, which are listed as extra stiff power and fast taper but are designed for protecting light leaders. I don't claim to know as much as the boys at Loomis (or much about Czech nymphing for that matter) but to me, that seems a little contradictory. I always thought slow tapers and soft power were better for protecting light leaders and tippet? I can see the advantage of a 10 foot rod for this type of fishing though.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
BDD - Taper and stiffness are two different things. Stiffness is stiffness. of course. Taper refers to how steeply the rods total stiffness proceeds from a stiff butt section to softer tip.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I for one look forward to casting a demo of these. I own several Loomis rods and have a great deal of respect for Steve Rajeff. If he says it's the best fly rod ever built it bears some investigation.

·
Tropical member
2,318 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
700!!!!! Starting at 700!!!! Rip offffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha
For a set of nine recoil guides for a spinning rod is $95. Its even cheaper for fly. If i was to make this rod myself the materials including the blank would cost less than half that mush. G loomis has many mistakes and poor workmanship as i have seen for years now. Go to wholesale sports in burlington and they have a centerpin with recoil guides for $600. Every guide is off centered! There are many gaps in the thread! The hook keepper is off. Bubbles everywhere. This is how a lot of the rods are for g loomis now. Skilly, The first g loomis rods were awesome! Now that gary has been out of the company for almost 15 years, the loomis rods just arent as nice.

Jake

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did get to cast the NRX yesterday, and it (10 for a 6) is indeed phenomenal. With semi-restricted casting area I was able to whang out 60-feet plus with the rod wanting more line. I could see myself easily throwing an entire line with no problem. I was very impressed with the weight and power. I also picked up a two-hander and was amazed at the light weight.

But I don't see one in my future at that price tag...

·
Chasing the Magic
122 Posts
If you want a classic GLX, you could follow Gary to his new company.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I did get to cast the NRX yesterday, and it (10 for a 6) is indeed phenomenal. With semi-restricted casting area I was able to whang out 60-feet plus with the rod wanting more line. I could see myself easily throwing an entire line with no problem. ...
If it casts 60' and wants more line, then my guess is that casting in more typical fishing ranges of 20'-50' would be like casting a Sage TCR at those distances. (crappy). Was it just a super stiff rod? Did you try it at more typical fishing distances?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it casts 60' and wants more line, then my guess is that casting in more typical fishing ranges of 20'-50' would be like casting a Sage TCR at those distances. (crappy). Was it just a super stiff rod? Did you try it at more typical fishing distances?
I spent about three minutes with the rod, so my "review" is pretty sketchy...I was trying to cast in a limited space while other casters were around. I tried a few short flips for accuracy and then let the rod stretch its legs a bit to 60 feet...while trying to get my backcast over a booth behind me. I liked the rod for short distances, and I'd really like to try it for the beach as well. It wasn't a super stiff rod by any means...I felt like it was more of an all-arounder...good at many things. But then I really like the GLX and have no problems using those rods both short and long.

As for Gary Loomis' new company, he's also designing rods for TFO. I don't know if he's doing fly rods for the company, but I do know he's designed a bunch of gear rods that look pretty sweet. Gary Loomis recently won a lawsuit that lets him use his name linked with rod design, so I'm guessing you'll see him doing more of this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.