Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome Greyghost! Myself, Sparse Grey Hackle and Mtlhead went to the lower Stilly today, Lots and lots of Chum on the move. All morning long, but we couldn't get em to stop long enough to get a fly properly placed in front of their face. The gear chuckers were doin well... :SHOCKED YT

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Excellent report, and welcome to the club!

But I am curious, what is a bunny spey? A small tail-less bunny leech with crosscut bunny palmered up the shank?

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
506 Posts
****** - yeah, i had the same problem as you guys initially...the fish were just plowing through, then I found a nice deep run along the far bank where the fish were stacking up before committing to the shallow riffle above. when they were resting, they would take a fly fairly well. But again, I didnt think they were hitting very well, compared to what I have seen before with chums. I probably hooked up 20 times in six hours, but I must have fished over several thousand fish. Not exactly a high ratio, most would just push on by.

Rob, a bunny spey is basically just a spin-off of the bunny leech, a fly I used a lot on great lakes steelies and lake run browns. It is simply a rabbit (zonker) strip twisted on an upturned hook with a spey hackle (schlappen) wrapped around the collar. Here is a link to a recipe: http://www.theflybench.com/steelhead/fly0095.htm
I tie mine differently though, with the rabbit strip actually twisted onto the hook giving it a fuller body (no dubbing), and I usually leave a shorter tail. Something to experiment with though...

Also, I wanted to add to my post that if anyone has any questions on great lakes trib fishing or do-it-yourself alaska trips feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Response Greyghost. We did find a large pool where the fish were resting, Mtlhead hooked two, But non brought to hand. I had one bump, that was all I could muster. The purple spey looks like a great pattern, thanks for the link. I was using purple today as well, somewhat similar to your pattern. A leechy looking thang, with a chartruse head and Chartruse rubber legs(maybe not so similar). Oh well, we'll get 'em next time. It was still fun seeing that many fish swim by too! I would love to hear your thoughts about do-it-youself Alaska trips. By buddy did a trip in semtember to the Alagnak on a buget. Maybe you could entertain us all with your ideas about going to Alaska, its always interesting to me, I will never be able to afford the 5 grand a week fly in lodge thing. Well, unless I win the lottery! :EEK never say never! :LOVEIT YT

·
Registered
410 Posts
Greyghost, Im new to Bellingham too. If you want to get out and fish let me know, Im going to hit the skagit tomorrow, so I'll let you know. You might want to check out Guides Fly Shop on Meridian for some good info. Anyway, good to see some more people up north.
-crump :THUMBSUP

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Greetings...

...from a fellow New Yorker, Rochester that is. I came out here in '78 so I kinda feel like a local these days.

It seems you have fit right into the fishing scene, congratulations. What background did you have fishing back east? I was a bait chucker back then, but aquired the gentler art about 15 years ago. For local river information check with the fly shop in Mt. Vernon, Kim Wyman is the owner and local expert.

Hope to meet you on the water soon,

Roper

·
Registered
506 Posts
Greetings...

hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and the info on the shops around the area. So far I have just checked out H&H here in Bellingham to get myself a nonres license.
Roper, It's nice to see another NYer, especially a western NYer. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY...really did my first flyfishing on the West Canada Creek near Utica, when visiting my grandparents as kid.
Back at home I fished for trout out your way a lot... I would consider, Oatka and Spring Creeks, near Caledonia, my home waters.
Then sometime around 96, I started fishing great lakes tribs for big lake runs, mostly Lake Erie tribs for steelies, but also Ontario tribs for salmon, steel, and very big brown trout..which were my favorite. Basically flyfishing those tribs is a relatively new phenomenom and so we were using a lot of "west coast steelheading" techniques.
For college, I chose to go to Plattsburgh, for its close proximity to the Adirondacks and vermont, which translates to exceptional skiing and fishing, I guess the environmental science degree didnt hurt either. I fished trout pretty hard up there mostly the saranac and Ausable Rivers, but recently got a float tube and got on some ponds. Also, fell in love fihing for landlocked Atlantic Salmon, that ran the Lake Champlain tribs each fall. Only landed a few "bigger" salmon, (23-28") but a 28" Atlantic on a 5 wt is something you don't easily forget...thats where I came up with my username, the greyghost is my favorite Atlantic fly for fishing up there.

See ya on the river, Pete

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Greyghost and Crump!

I live in Bellingham as well! I plan on hitting the Skagit tomorrow too, but in my driftboat...first time on water, but maybe after the transition from pontoon boat to driftboat I'll see if anyone wants to go...I moved here from Michigan three years ago, and am always trying to find people to fish with...my wife hates me going alone! Anyways I'll be drifting from Marblemount to Rockport...wave to the idiot spinning around in circles!

·
Registered
96 Posts
contact john latham, registered master guide, yakutat alaska, 907-784-3287. guided fishing for sockeye, kings, steelhead. or a very nice place to stay while fishing on your own in the yakutat area. very friendly, excellent food. situk river, and other area streams.

·
been around
117 Posts
all these guys in bhm tonight got me to finally join in I've been reading these posts for about a month now,looking like you for guys that are into this sickness we call fly fishing and worst fly tying.fly tying which is noyhing more than an obession for spending money and scrounging all matter of furs,fluffs and feathers of dead things :TSKTSK So welcome to bellingham the best place to be we can go north to fish canada south to fish the skagit all within in a hours drive a mite easier than our brethen in the big city down there. Me I started fishing the skagit in the early 80's and would be happy to have you join me sometime check the profiles for my email adress lastly a question? anyone else out there a alumni of the katmai home for the crimanlly insane? :CONFUSED

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey everyone, just moved to Bellingham last month (still have the NY plates on my car. finished college last spring, spent the summer on the road fishing in Alaska, then packed up my car and drove back to WA. I have enjoyed browsing through the posts on this site, interesting debates...and good information. I've been fly fishing for trout for about ten years, and for steelhead and salmon about six years. Most of the latter has been done on the great lakes tribs and in Alaska(some here in western WA).

Fished the lower Stilly, below I-5 yesterday. I wanted to celebrate the much anticipated arrival of some rain, so I hit the river, and was rewarded by some spectacular chum action. When I first arrived at the river it was raining lightly, I worked my way down to a wide riffle and could see pods of 5- 10 chums working their way upstream. I fished a deep run below the riffle and hooked up immediately. For the next 4 hours the rain continued and so did the streams of fish moving upstream, at one point, there was a constant column of fish moving past me for at least 30 minutes. I have never seen numbers of fish like this, except the pink run in alaska. Fish moved past me all day, if it stopped for a few minutes I just waited until the next school of fish past, never more than ten minutes. The fish didnt hit that well because they were on the move, but I managed to fair hook about twenty, landing about 15. By the end of they day, my left arm was starting to cramp up so I went home. I was using an 8 wt sage, ross cimmaron reel, floating line with a 9 foot leader tapered to 10 lb flourocarbon.
Most effective flies were small bunny speys in white, green, or purple. The rain didnt seem to have much effect on the water level, and it was still clear, but the fish obviously noticed it. With numbers of fish like that, how long will this run last?? It is supposed to rain for about the next week, if you have the time, you might want to go chummin' in the rain....

Also, here is a pic for you since I am new... (not from yesterday)

And, Can anyone reccomend some good places to fish the skagit? (it such a big river by my standards)
Tightlines and CPR, Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.