Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang,
Well, the time has come to bring another pup into our lives. We have talked to Gary about one of his goldens but my wife and I and the kids have been talking lab as well. We already have an English setter, and another one is not in the cards as she drives my wife nuts. Just wondering if you have any thoughts either way. We have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Hunt and fish regularly, backcountry ski, mt bike. Super active.

We have also talk border collie as a possible plan.

Cheers
Me

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Have had a lab and golden and both were great dogs.
Hard to go wrong with either, but if I had to decide between the two again I'd get another golden.
Good luck with your decision.
SF

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I have never had a Golden, but I have had a lot of Labs in my life. Both breeds are great family dogs and hunters, although Labs are lower maintenance & don't attract burrs in the field. If hunting is a consideration, that reduces your field to 2. I have known but never owned a Border Collie - they are smart (and some can become quite the escape artists), loyal & friendly but again, as a long-hair breed they require more maintenance. Good luck - when you find the right pup he/she will pick you . . .

G

·
I had a relative who was a high profile border collie trainer. She trained the dogs for sheep ranchers and for regular owners (including some celebrities who have places in MT).

Border collies are great, but they are a herding/working breed with a ton of energy and stamina. They are generally great around older kids, but not so much around younger ones. The dogs have a natural tendency to herd groups of animals...and kids. Personally, I'd avoid border collies unless you are willing to be very diligent about training and exercising. A border collie with your 2- and 7-year-olds is not what I'd consider the best match.

As an aside, when I was in Ireland, I got to see my (somewhat distant) cousin's border collie work his sheep. It was amazing, he was able to get the dog to bring the herd of ~20 in, and even cut sheep out of the herd. The dog was extremely quick...and was missing his front left leg.

As far as the labs go, when I was growing up my neighbors had a yellow lab that was a terror. My friend (the 9-year old son) was pulled off of his bike several times when the dog would jump and bite the hood of his sweatshirt. I blame the training, but they are very playful dogs and don't always understand their impact.

Every golden I've been around has been just a happy, dumb oaf.

Attachments

·
Art 'n Fish
311 Posts
Flat Coated Retriever!!!...If you have kids, like hunting and fishing or a great companion. Just check them out and a little research.
Our breeder just had puppies 5 weeks ago. http://www.northernlightsfcr.com/index.html
We have one now along with a goofy Springer Spaniel. This is Cricket and like other Flat Coated retrievers their tail is always wagging.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful replies gang! I've thought about the flat coats a lot awhile ago. No ended up W Lucy. She is amazing. Burrs are a huge pain!

Dog will also be my 7 year olds 4h dog and I don't really wanna deal w burrs:). I know it seems trivial
But running em over here in eastern washington we have a lot of burrs. I remember one time Lucy was running in the ronde and came back looking like the flying nun w burrs in her ears and hair. Poor thing got a truck bed grooming.

Have thought a lot about rescuing as well, but figured it'd be best to bring a pup in the house w young ones so they all grow together.

I really appreciate the perspectives and if anyone else wants to chime in I welcome that!

Cheers
Me

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
we have Goldens, and burrs are relatively easily removed with a comb and a squirt of hair conditioner. but be aware there's two sub-breeds in Goldens. Most of us are familiar with the light blonde, blocky-faced, happy-go-lucky family dog; that's the show dog sub-breed. The other is the field trialers; longer, more pronounced face and nose (and their noses are really good), and their fur is darker as a general rule. People tend to confuse my younger hound Ailan with an Irish Setter because she's so dark. Altogether fantastic dogs: great hunters; great companions, and of course, not spoiled in any way......

and Fiona, our older Golden; she's 13 now, but once was so fast she'd pluck pheasants she'd flushed before they could get more than about 6 feet into the air!

I love me my puppydogs!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.