Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Bicycle part Rim Auto part Font
I had my eye on this reel for some time and I finally got to handle one. It is very lightweight but I came away a bit disappointed
1. Handle- a grippy composite handle that felt a bit to sticky. Prefer wood, fine with machined handles and some plastics but this was like a soft sweaty racquetball handle feel. I don't like soft for a handle. At least it wasn't a paddle type handle.
2. Spindle size- Tiny. Tiny diameter. Might be ok but I personally like a little more beef in the heart of a reel
3. Thin wall machining. I placed the reel in my hand and I could easily squeeze and bend the reel cage/spool. I believe this reel will not like the occasional drop on a river rock. It offered very little resistance to minimal force. I thought the Lamson Litespeed of old (big circle machined cuts, which I own two of) was a bit thin walled but this easily tops it.

I was hopeful that this in some way could measure up to the galvan torque to some degree. Nah!!!
Some will like it. The drag seemed strong and smooth. Size in reel's diameter is better than previous Rise generation reels. A bit more backing capacity. Nice and easy knurled drag knob for adjusting drag and good adjustment range. Those loving a featherlight reel look no further.... it is light, real light. It does look cool and comes in black/silver/orangish color.
I would say it is a reel full of good protein but it has no meat. And some are fine with that. I like my reels to be a little bit carnivorous.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just read a review on it.

The same "fears" as I would have, seem to be confirmed.

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/redington-rise-ii-5-6-fly-reel-review-5wt
This is actually a different reel. For some reason Redington persists in reusing old names for new products and simply tacking "new" onto the description. (The new Predator rod is another example.) I can't see that these old products had any great press or brand awareness worth preserving, so I don't understand the logic. But it creates confusion like this.

Porter, thanks for the review. Been looking at those myself, so I appreciate your perspective. Which size did you handle? (But also keep in mind it's only a little more than half the price of the Galvan Torque.)

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
This is actually a different reel. For some reason Redington persists in reusing old names for new products and simply tacking "new" onto the description. (The new Predator rod is another example.) I can't see that these old products had any great press or brand awareness worth preserving, so I don't understand the logic. But it creates confusion like this.

Porter, thanks for the review. Been looking at those myself, so I appreciate your perspective. Which size did you handle? (But also keep in mind it's only a little more than half the price of the Galvan Torque.)
Well, thanks for the "out", but it's probably my "faulty searching".

I'll change the post. Thanks for the heads up.

:p

Reactions: Porter

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7/8. Oh I know about the price. But it really only advocates you get what you pay for. You want a tough durable reel ? Then fork over a few more pesos.
I'm not sure this will old up to what I would label normal fishing conditions over time. But that is just my opinion based on years of fishing. I believe it is a good reel. It just doesn't cover my personal criteria. That's all. Thought I share.

·
Registered
259 Posts
7/8. Oh I know about the price. But it really only advocates you get what you pay for. You want a tough durable reel ? Then fork over a few more pesos.
I'm not sure this will old up to what I would label normal fishing conditions over time. But that is just my opinion based on years of fishing. I believe it is a good reel. It just doesn't cover my personal criteria. That's all. Thought I share.
Thanks. Been looking at the 7/8 as a backup for an upcoming Alaska trip, since I hear is has a good strong drag. Thanks for the insight:)

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I had the opportunity to get a Unused sitting in the closet brand new Bauer MZ4 at 40 bucks less then the Retail of a new redington rise.... so I only had to use one brain cell and two neurons. One nueron was needed to pull out cash from my wallet. It becomes easy to let my green paper fly from you over great quality gear. Such a sucker ...... I am!

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
How would you compare it to the Allen Trout II? I have three Allen reels, all the Trout version, two the original and one Trout II. For $100 ish as they do have sales I don't know how you can beat those. Other than a couple of Lamsons, about the only reels I buy now are Galvan Torque (mostly used--$200ish) and the Allens. Galvan to me is just the best deal out there for a mid range and they don't bang you $100 for colors. I have an original Redington Rise. It's OK, nothing special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.