Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Trevor Hutton
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the question, I am currently in the market for a new rod- most likely a redington wayfarer. Thats not the question, I lied. ok, so I currently own and fish a six weight scientific anglers, here is the question for real....would I be better off getting a 4 weight or a 3 weight for my next rod? I am sure I want to go lighter, but I fear the 4 weight might be too similar to my 6 weight, but on the otherhand the 3 weight might lack the power- though I have heard they are a real blast. So if anybody has some input it would be greatly appreciated-
p.s. if at all possible I am going to try to make it to the april 19th dry falls outing- at least i think i read something about that-is it an anybody allowed trip? When? Where? Is it fact or fiction? Forgive my ramblings- post-operation pain killers speak through me at this moment :rofl :rofl :rofl

· Registered
2,227 Posts
I have gotten in the habit of making my own rods so that i can have one for every situation but before I make a rod I need to have a use for.

So what do you want to use this new rod for?

· Oncorhynchus clarki clarki
264 Posts
Smartie hit is right on. I could give you some better reasons if you told me a little more info. The 3 would be great because I will often fish smaller streams and rivers. I love to fish the Sno forks, I really like the MF because it is really pretty. I think this year I am going to be exploring the N more but that is a different story. With the 3 you can catch those tiny fish and they will seem like they are huge. This rod would give you a lot better of a feel on those small streams. Also I see that you are planning on getting a wayfarer, well those are either a 5 or 7 piece rods right? Taking this information I am guessing that you are planning on doing some hiking. Well if you are like me and plan on hiking into some alpine lakes this summer then that 3 will be great because normally those fish don't get to big to cold to much ice. If you do go with the 3 just make sure you have some backing on your reel because if you do hook into a nice sized fish he will try to rip you apart, but if you work it right, it can be a blast. Then again the 4 could be really nice. See with the 4 it will be light and nice for those little alpine trout but as for alpine streams in most cases not as nice as the 3. If I were you and I did get the 4 it would most likely turn into my main rod for rivers and lakes. I know a lot of people get rods in every other weight. Like this 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and so on. I know this information wont help you out more but I hope it might spring some questions, and hopefully you will add some more details as to what you will be using this for. Good luck :thumb .

Sly

P.S. I too have turned to building my own rods.
P.S.S. Oh and you know you want the Wayfarer in either a 3 or 4 weight, so find a shop that carries them and cast both of them if you can, one might just feel better than the other :professor .

G

·
I fish either a 5 or a 3 for trout - anywhere. I choose which based on the range of fly sizes I anticipate presenting for the day. Sometimes I bring both. I've never felt assed-out by having the Winston 3 in any wind versus the five at normal presentation ranges. I've sold my four weights, actually - AND my sixes! Go for the extra touch and tippet protection of the 3, dude. That's my vote.
:smokin

· Whammo!
492 Posts
Good rule of thumb is picking odd's or evens when buying your rods so if I only had a 6wt and was in the market for a small stream rod I would go with the 4wt. I fish the South, Mid and North Forks quite often and I use my 4wt and it works great. If you are worried about lacking power just go for a faster action rod.

Tight Lines and have fun,

Mike:beer1

· Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
My vote would be for the 4 as well. The 6 will be a good summer steely rod and good for fishing the salt for SRCs and coho (and pinks this year) and those extremely windy days fishing for trout east of the mountains or when fishing very large bodies of water and want to try for more distance. A medium\fast action 4 will be a great all around trout rod. But it all depends on the type of fishing you plan to do the most. I have a 9ft 4wt (medium/fast action) that I use on the lakes and small rivers\streams and I love it. Unless I'm doing winter steelhead or always fishing in the wind - I don't care as much for the high end fast action rods. And even with my rod I can handle most windy conditions just fine.

· Tom Van Gelder
33 Posts
I agree with the 4wt. I have a 4,6,and 8 wt rods and found they meet all of my present fishing needs. My fishing buddy has a 3, 5, and 7 wt rods and seems to be just as happy. Since you already have the 6wt dropping to the 4 make sense to me.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
If your interest in the Wayfarer indicates that you plan to hike in to backcountry, I think the 4 is a more practical choice, although either would do. A 3 is delicate enough for any spooky-trout situation I've encountered in 45 years of fly fishing. A 4 is delicate enough for 97.23% of demanding situations, it can handle a little wind, and it's definitely a different line than a 6. Also, you can get practical 4-weight sinking lines; I'm not sure if they are made in 3s.3
After a lifetime of evolving tackle, I put together my dream alpine lake outfit a few years ago: a rod I built on a Scott G844/5 blank, 8'4" 5-piece 4-weight, an Orvis CFO III with a WF4F and WF4S mono lines. :9

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.