Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts about 20 or 30lb backing/capacity on a new salmon/metalhead set up??? I will mostly be doing great lakes runs and the occasional trip out to the Skagit when I'm out in Bellingham visiting my folks.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
30+

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I always use 30 lb. dacron, not because I feel that the extra strength is necessary but because it fills the reel more quickly. In most cases 100 yards of backing is far more than will ever be necessary for steelhead or salmon.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd recommend 30# Dacron.

Been down the GSP route and wouldn't recommend it for freshwater applications. Knots are much more critical, it's expensive, it has the potential to slice your fingers when under tension and unless packed on really, really tight it can burry itself at the the time you need it the most.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Since I never use a tippet testing more than 12 pounds, I've never had any problems using 20# dacron. Two 1200 yd spools of it and more. Seems to last forever; some has been on the same reel spool 30 years. And 100 yd can be packed on some pretty small fly reels. And I've never had backing break on me, but that could just be because it doesn't see the light of day very often. I bought some 30# dacron to load on a few reels used on two handed rods, just to help fill the reel spool, otherwise some would easily hold 400 yd.

Sg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.