Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home an 1992 SeaLaker today. It’s designed for motor mooching the Puget Sound, and the owners added a windshield. (moochers don’t have a windshield)

it came well equipped, electric Scotty downriggers, VHF, Hook 7” GPS/Sonar.
A 40hp E-Tech in great condition pwith key start and power trim.

looking forward to taking this boat out, and setting it up for searun cutthroat fishing and jigging the sound.

anyone elseon the forum have a Moocher?

Boat trailer Tire Watercraft Boat Wheel
Watercraft Boat Vehicle Plant Fixture
Sky Automotive tire Tree Asphalt Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Sky Boat trailer Vehicle

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you explain what mooching is? Thanks!
sorry about that. Mooching is traditional salmon fishing method. A sinker, leader, 2 hooks into a herring. The herring is presented with a tight rolling spin, so as to appear wounded. Find the bait ball and add your wounded herring for the salmon to find. Working the herring up through the water column, and looking for a grab!

the term is used in fly fishing some as well. I say mooching a fly while wind drifting a fly along a stretch of productive water. Sinking line, strips and working the different depths. A lot of fun either way!

I grew up in Port Townsend and mooching was popular there until downriggers took over. Run up currentll, shut off the motor and drift mooch productive water. Over and over again! Nice long drifts along mid channel bank.

the boats areusually smaller runabouts w/o a windshield. Tiller controlled so if there is no current, you can fish anduse the outboard to slowly cover water.

Hope I explained that so it makes sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts