Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,937 Posts
Yo DV

Steelhead are alot like me... Only I smell worse after laying on the bank for awhile }(

What I mean is that a steelie going upstream is alot like me when I'm hiking. Some parts of the trail I go fast some parts I go slow, and some I just have to stop and take a rest. After cresting a steep, skree covered section of trail, I'll stop for awhile. If I smell something interesting, like food, I'll stop and sniff around, trying to figure what direction it's coming from, and if it's what my buddy who hiked in last night said he was going to cook. Sometimes I'll be going along, and all of a sudden there's a section that looks more like cliff and less like trail rising up ahead of me. I'll probably stop, have a small sip of water, catch my breath, stretch a little before going on.

So for me steep, skree covered section of trail = rapid for steelhead

smell of food = stream flowing into the river

steep "clifflike" trail rising up ahead of me = rapid steelhead needs to go through

There's more... Lots more... but this should help you get started. Oh yeah... if there aren't fish, you won't catch them. It'll get better over the next weeks. It won't get easier, but it'll get better. Sounds like you've got the right 'tude. Keep looking. You'll find them

:thumb

· Registered
2,937 Posts
A fella's got to know at least three things when fishing

1. When to break down your rod for tromping through the brush

2. When to stop trying to force distance when your casting isn't going well and just let the rod work

3. When to have a nice lie down!

I did all three on the Skagit this morning! 12/22/02

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.