Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New to Chumming

569 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Surf_Candy 
My best success chum fishing has always been at or near tidewater. I like playing for bright fish, with lice on them. They are hot and fast and beat you up good. And an eight weight would be tested mightily then.My nine weight gets hammered by them in those spots. Outgoing tide off a low or shallow bar with a bend in it has always been best and my favorite times are when the fish are holding on the flats in 1-3 feet of water. They will chase pollywogs too, and I have caught them on big dry flys waked on the swing- like skating a steelhead fly in summer! Chums! Pass the SALT! I never saw so many people keeping chums to take home till I moved to washington. I asked a guy who was lugging home a few big colored up ugly chums; Hey, what are you going to do with those things?... I figured he had a sled dog team or something...He says: " Im going to smoke them!" Well geez... if you think tobacco is bad for you, just wait and see what happens when you start puffing on one of those babys!Favorite leader set up has been 4-8 feet level 10 lb mono, Maxima has been fine,sometimes 12 pound in faster water. And for flies I like bunnies, leeches,streamers; gaudy, lots of flash, sizes from 2-6. They'll take a glo bug too, any size or color but 2-4 seems right.I only use single barbless hooks. I usually fish a dry line and adjust the weight of the flies at the vise. Sometimes I use a sink tip but thats a way to snag salmon too. You have to avoid the big deep wet fly swing thing with a sink tip.Keep it simple and, as a suggestion, stay out of the water at first and really search for them near shore, in shallow water. You'll be surprised at how you can catch them at your feet without getting wet. Most people wade too soon and too far and too deep. it just pushes fish away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.