Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Trout Bum
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just learning how to fly fish and was wondering a good place to go and fish that is within 2 hours of Seattle. Lake or Stream doesn't matter. Have float tube, waders, boots, etc.

Forgot, this would be for trout.
:beer2

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Damn, you got a waiter? What's he do? Carry your tube?

Just kidding, a prerequisite here on the forum. There are a few lakes worth floating, north of you is Lone on Whidbey Island. Depending on your equipment, there is salt water to fish here also. Others will add their input too. I just had to jump on your typo...

}( }( }(

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
790 Posts
For local lakes, try Lone and Pass on Whidbey Island for fly fishing only. Most other lakes are open year round now. (Check your regs though).

For rivers, you can fish the Snoqualmie forks above the falls. I'd recommend heading over the pass and hitting the Yakima however. If the water is decent, the fishing has been good.

Pete

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is no shortage of fly fishig in Washington, either near Seattle, the Penninsula, or east over the mountains. You can fish year-round. In fact, my discovery of fly fishing, year-round fly fishing, AND local Puget Sound saltwater fly fishing changed my whole attitude about living here. (I was tired of the city, tired of the dampness and the grey, and was missing the dry heat of my native Southern Oregon). I'd be hard-pressed to move to an area that didn't have such great acessability to all the fly fishing one can stand. Glad you discovered the sport. You'll know you're in deep when you start tying your own flies....

Good Luck:thumb

Tom

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I hate to say this but those maps on that thing "Map Server" are old maps. I got some Topo disc's from mtlhead and those maps are old also. I mean they don't show half of the logging roads I've been driving around on and some of these roads have been here a long time. I just had to get this off my chest. Now I feel better.

Jim

·
SANCHO!
1,692 Posts
How did you do on the pilchuck this season?

I only live a block away from it so I hit it pretty often and had good results. If memory serves right I pulled in 3 natives which I estimated to be about in the 12-16lb range and 6 smaller stock fish. I have to admit I got frustrated trying to get them on a fly at the begining so I switched to a Jig set up and got 2 of the natives with that, but finally figured out a few good places to pull them with a dark leach like "thing" on a fly rod when the water conditions were clear.

You know come to think of it... I never once saw anyone fishing it with a fly and got some odd looks from egg cluster huckers.

~cHris

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
NewGuy, don't fix anything, I'm just teasing you, you're doing fine. You got the stones to ask, so we need to answer, come over to Dry Falls with us weirdo's next weekend and we'll show you how it's done. Right, Guys???

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I caught my first trout on a fly in the Williamson River.....Loved to fish the Sprague, Williamson, and Spring Creek...but that was many years ago. Perhaps that is more South Central Oregon but when I saw your quote it just reminded me of better days.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Roper...your loosing it

Roper my friend...you are one week ahead of yourself here...The 12th is Rocky Ford and then the 19th is Dry falls...that would two weekends from now....pull it together man!!!

~Patrick ><>

·
Trout Bum
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother is an avid Fly Fisher but he mainly goes over the mountains and doesn't know too many areas over here.
He is taking me out to teach me how. We are planning on going out on the 12th.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Roper...your loosing it

You cleaned up your act??? ;-)

Cant wait to do some rowdy style fishing again...its gonna be a blast!!

So does this mean you are gonna be there from friday til sunday since your a week ahead of schedule on the property?? LOL

~Patrick ><>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.