Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to the area of Olympia, WA and am looking for some rivers that might be somewhat close to me to fish....I would be willing to go about 100 miles from here. I am pretty much into Trout fishing and have lived in Portland, Oregon and love to river fish....with big rocks to climb around....so this is kind of what I am looking for when I go fishing...does anyone have any ideas of places like this in the area.

Thank you for your time and help :BIGSMILE

Dann

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

Try the Deschutes river. It Runs right thru Olympia. And if your new to this area it will do you good to invest in a Washington State Atlas and you will find alot of streams in that 100 mile radius.

Jim

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dann,

The Old Man is right - there's a LOT of what you're looking for within a 100 mile radius. Just to get you started in some sort of direction, four things will serve you well in your search for Trout waters in WA:

1. The WASHINGTON ATLAS & GAZATTEER published by Delorme. Contains detailed topographic maps of the entire state. Very, very useful. Find it at your local bookstore or just about anywhere else for that matter for about $17.00.

2. WASHINGTON FISHING by Terry Rudnick. Has an awful lot of info on an awful lot of places. Overall, a very good overview on many location. Again, find it at your local bookstore for about $20.00.

3. Streamside Anglers Fly Shop on 4800 Capitol Blvd. SE in TUMWATER
(360-709-3337.) You're going to be a regular customer of their's over the years so you may as well drop in and get the relationship started now. Caution: this could result in costing you $$thousands$$ over time.

4. This website. No cost and great info from great people.

Welcome to WA. Did you remember to close the gate and put up the NO TRESPASSING - DO NOT ENTER sign on the border?? :WINK

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am sure glad that the closed gate doesn't work in the sky. I am a New Yorker who is visiting my sister in Kent,WA and got addicted to Steelhead fishing on the "Stilly" After my first time this year ever I am returning to Washington to visit my sister (Huh..she says) and get back to Forstons Hole. I left a few Steelies there. Thanks for not closing it all down for us visiters. See you all..
Bob Studen
FlyFishermanNY :THUMBSUP

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

That's a long way away to get hooked on steelhead fishing. I never been to NY.And at my age I don't think that I'll ever make it. I flew over it once when I was in the Service. That's about as close as I am ever going to go.

Welcome aboard. There's a bunch of friendly fly fishers here.

Jim. :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jim:
Thanks for the Welcome. I think I am going to visit my sister about 2X a year and tell her I am only there to see her..I think she is wise to me by now. I told her to give her husband a "kitchen Pass" so he can go to the Stilly with me. He is brandy new to flyfishing. He was or is a worm dunker. I fixed him up with some fly gear and got him out on the stilly. He is 74 and a good learner. I was hoping he would get out and to the river on his own but I will have to take him there.You are never too old to come to NY and fish. We have some awesome areas to fish. See you all soon.
Bob Studen
New York :AA

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Elwha River near Port Angeles, on the Olympic Penninsula, a the classic trout river with lots a big boulders to scramble around. The upper river in the park is pristine water with wild rainbows from 8-12 inches, up to 15 inches or more. Let me know if you need some info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx a bunch for this info......you have hit the nail on the head with the scrambling around boulders......that is the way I love to fish.......know of any good maps I might use to find places up there.....

Dann

oh and I have never been to NYC either....would love to go some time......where is good trouts up that way?

:BIGSMILE

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

It is the Stillaguamish river. Hence the Stilly. The North fork head waters are above Darrington and the South fork head waters start above Granite Falls. They meet in Arlington and dump into the Sound above Warm Beach. Since I'm still on this subject I will tell you that the N/Fork is fly fishing only until the 1st of Dec. And the S/fork you can fish with almost anything that you want except TNT.

Jim

G

·
I'm new here as well. Moved to WA, Oly town, on 08/01. I too am looking for good places to fish that are close by.

So, can you be a little more descriptive about where the Stilly is?

What about access to the Sound for cutts and silvers?

Also, any trout in the Nisqually?

By the way Dann, I have discovered the great salmon fishery around here and you can have a great time catching salmon....hell, from what I hear the season is just starting and it's going to get real good in the next few months. The Skokomish (locally known as the Skokes) is NW of Oly and I have had a good time there this fall. Access is good. Hooked three fish, lost all three. I learned 10# test won't do and am finally spooled up proper for the kings. To the E is the Nisqually. I caught a 37" king there Friday, my first salmon.

I have fished parts of the Deschutes this fall. It's a great stream from what I've seen. Not much in the way of boulders and such. Heavy brush on the banks mostly. It is catch and release only though above Pioneer Park (just below the intersection of Henderson and Yelm highway, on Henderson). It is easily waded (at least in the late summer) and my son and I caught some nice rainbows last month. I think a float tube or small pontoon boat would be a great float trip next summer. Sea run cutts are supposed to come up the river in the fall. About 100 steelies migrated past the Tumwater Fish Hatchery last year, about 1300 salmon swam past the gates and upstream. Many people float (inner tubes) from Pioneer Park down during the summer. My son and I waded this section and caught some salmon smolt and a couple of small rainbows. It was a lot of fun.

To the WNW is the Quinalt and the Hoh. I fished the Quinalt at Graves Creek a couple of weeks ago and it is JUST what you are looking for. Boulders, fast water, and TROUT! Dolly Varden. I caught some beauties! Got some great pics to. Lots of whitefish that will knock your socks off. I read the white fish only grew to about 1lb, maybe1.5lbs. I cought some that had to be 3 to 4 lbs, I had one that was nearly twenty inches!

I haven't been to the Hoh yet but it is a legendary fishery for steelies and salmon. I'm sure there's plenty of trout in it to.

By the way, this is great site. Everyone on here seems real nice. Lots of good info and advice.

One more river to note is the Wynoochee. Above the lake, before the falls, is supposed to be good trout water. Trout enter the river from the lake. Below the dam is FINE!. I went there Saturday with the wife and kids and caught rainbows, cutthroats, and another little juvie that I couldn't identify...it was brown mostly. Don't know if browns are in there or brookies, maybe a baby dolly.... My son caught an 18 rainbow. I just caught a bunch of small stuff but sure enjoyed it. Very nice river.

Welcome to WA. Good luck to ya.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dann, as for maps...
Any of the book stores or fishing shops will have a Washington Gazetter. It's large 11x17 and has maps for the whole state, so whether you go to the Penninsula or across the Cascades you're covered. It also lists campgrounds along with other cultural things like museums and art gallerys for the other family outings.

Tight lines!

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well,when you get a map of the state go north of Seattle up I-5,past Everett,and Marysville. You will find the towns of Arlington,Darrington,and Granite Falls. Just look for the squiggly blue lines on your map and you will find the Stilly.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.