Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I am new to the spey world and have a couple questions about setting up a new rod. I just purchased a reddington dually - #8 13'6. I am a college student on a budget so I am trying to piece together a rod and buy gear when money allows me to. With that being said, what would you recommend for a reel as well as line set up. I plan on fishing the Clearwater river in Idaho mostly while Im in school and the Oly Pen when i get the chances. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the same rod and love it!

To match the rod I use the Redington Behemoth 9/10 reel I got used on eBay for $100.

The lines I use are:
600 gr Rio Skagit Max floating for maximum distance mated with a Rio T14 12.5' MOW tip + salt fluorocarbon or bonefish leader carrying a heavy weighted fly.
600 gr Airflo Intermediate skagit for distance mated with a Rio iMOW sinking tip + salt fluro leader for deeper water work.
540 gr Airflo Scandi floating for trout nymph & dry fly / hopper fishing on fresh water.

This is my go to rod for:
Surf fishing perch, halibut & Corbina on the beach, estuary salmon, bay fishing for sharks, and cold water trout rivers as well as warm water bass lakes....

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Large fly reels, like 4sallypat's Red. Behemoth 9/10, are sized for single hand lines of the stated size. So we can know that spey lines designated two or three sizes lighter will fit on that reel with a reasonable amount of backing line. His reel will (probably) go well with 7 or 8 weight spey lines.

For good balance, which makes for a less tiring day on the river, a reel for your rod should weigh, empty, around 9 ounces or a few more. Small, medium, or large arbor, disc drag or click-and-pawl drag, can all be good spey performers.

Reactions: wanative and gjq
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.