Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Maple Falls from Burlington Vt. I came for the skiing and climbing, but I'd like to try everything that the area has to offer, which has led me to fishing. I've spin casted irregularly for most of my life and have often thought that I'd like to learn to fly fish, especially as its much easier to do in the mountains (where I like to be). Now that I live embrassingy close to a river or reasonable size and and who knows how many little lakes and streams, I'd like to give this a shot.... except I don't know where to start.

Can someone recommend a good shop in my area where they would have the patience to answer my questions?

I know fishing is similar to backcountry skiing in that everyone has their "stashes" and secret spots, but if I could be pointed in the direction of a spot to fish where I won't get too frustrated, that would also be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Sam

ps I was directed to this forum by the guys in the fishing forum on TGR.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Sam , I'm not familiar with your area but this forum has a section 'content' at the top click on it and theres a list of shops and clubs and other things so that's a start. Shops will have other info for you. good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for getting back to me. All of the shops that were on that list are quite far from Bellingham.As far as I can tell, there used to be 2 shops in town, but both are now out of business.

I did find a link for Wholesale Sports in Burlington though, does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I cant say anything about Wholesale sports bellingham as I haven't shopped in that store, the one in Olympia has a good fly fishing selection. find yourself a club and find someone to show you the ropes

Welcome to the addiction

Eric

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Sam,

You share something in common with others up in the Bellingham area - a definite lack of fly shops. The members here are pretty good about getting together at pubs and bars and throwing around a lot of fishing bull. Otherwise, Pacific Fly Fishers in Mill Creek, a fairly good distance south is your closest shop in the US. You may be closer to a couple Canadian shops north of the border. I'd check into them, they could be the pot at the end of the rainbow for you.

Leland.

·
Registered
75 Posts
give silver lake a try, a couple guys from work fished it and did pretty well about two weeks ago. as far as creeks go i think they closed a few of them in your area this year. dave at wholesale sports has given me lots of advice and been very helpful.

·
1,693 Posts
The Wholesale Sports down here is the same. They took over the old Sportsmans Warehouse. Their stock varies quite a bit and they told me they were after vendors to supply them. Prices are generally good if they have what you want. lots of enpty spaces. Good luck.

·
1,693 Posts
Sam an even better thought is next Saturday go to the Jimmy Green fly fishi'ng expo in Monroe at the lake. there will be many shops represented there and its all free. food demos etc. The shop in Monroe is one of the closest to you also and a good one . look for the thread about the expo here. There will be lots of things going on and people to meet. THE JIMMY GREEN EXPO is in the events forum with a listiing of the events there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.