Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a soon to be college graduate who will be coming back home to Washington within a month, and my main issue is that I have been fishing out in Montana for 4 years which has been great, but its where I started fly fishing hence no experience back home with it all. I've recently become interested in learning more about spey and switch rods and wondering if anyone has advice on what would work well for a steelhead and all around salmon rod, particularly Chinook and Chums. I've looked at the new Echo switch rods, so maybe a 7 or 8wt from them. Since I'll be a college grad, money will be a bit tighter for a while so at $329 they won't break the bank as much as others will, but I am open to suggestions. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Start by going to' A day on the river' at Fall City on Saturday or Ben Howard near Monroe on Sunday. Aaron Riemer or Mike Kinney will give you all kinds of help and have rods and reels you can try for starters. Then go from there to deciding where to put your money. Don't be in a rush like too many of us were. A rod is usually just the beginning of the expense with lines and a good reel that will handle it all adding to the grand total. good luck

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Start by going to' A day on the river' at Fall City on Saturday or Ben Howard near Monroe on Sunday. Aaron Riemer or Mike Kinney will give you all kinds of help and have rods and reels you can try for starters. Then go from there to deciding where to put your money. Don't be in a rush like too many of us were. A rod is usually just the beginning of the expense with lines and a good reel that will handle it all adding to the grand total. good luck
Bob NAILED it. In addition to that, welcome, read up here there are some fantastic folks that put up great information. Use the search function here to find discussions on possible questions you might have. There are a number of us from the correct side of the Sound (Kitsap County) and if you can connect with some of them you'll be with fine fishing company for sure. Welcome home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bob is extremely correct. Aaron is a great teacher. He helped me a couple of months back. I have been meaning to make it back up there for another day on the river but being down in Portland its quite the long haul. Definitely wait until you try some rods out before you buy though. I was in the same boat as you coming home from school in Colorado and learning the whole spey deal. It is rough going at first because it is completely starting over but you wont go back once you learn it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice Bob and everyone, I'll probably try and make it to one of their clinics the weekend after I get back then to start. Its good to know theres a forum to go to for this out there, I was pretty much learning everything the hard way out here.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Abyl, went to the river today and wore my arm out but there were quite a few guys at all stages of learning and helping each other out I just didn't improve much today, I was cold, both fingers and mind not functioning but also met some fisermen that I hadn't met before which was very good cause it leads to oportunities and finding new buddies to fish with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cabelas 11'6 (8 wt) switch rod. Rio 450 grain skagit. 9' of t-14, and a 5 ' leader, and a moderately weighted fly. A really good set up for the price. It took me about 4 trips to the river, and a couple yard sessions, but once I got it down it will really punch'em out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.