Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys have probably heard it all before, but i just found this site and i'm really interested in fly fishing. I'm 17 and i just started fly fishing. I live by Echo and Lost lakes near Maltby, WA. For about 3 weeks now i've been going out around 8:30 - 9:30 and i've tried every fly under the sun! I've managed to catch ONE fish, and that was in a moment of weakness on a spinning rod. If anyone could possibly give a newby some information on how to catch a trout in a small quiet lake i'd be very appreciative! And please, if you give me ideas on what flys to use---give me a description. i'm still trying to learn the names of them all!

Thanks,

Nick

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

I used to fish those lakes all the time and like you I have never caught any fish except with bait I am sorry to say.You really need to get out in a boat if you have one.

On Echo go to the far side from the boat launch. It's uasally good over there. As for Lost I really don't know. But if you want more info on those lakes go to washingtonlakes.com and click on the lakes section. Loads of info there. Jim S.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Nick:

Welcome. You have posed a very broad question and should get a variety of replies. A typical search type pattern for me is an olive woolley bugger with black maribou tail, black is also a good choice. Hare's ear / pheasant tail nymphs are also a good choice. Use a sink tip or sinking line on these. If you elect to "troll" the woolley bugger types, make sure that you let the line out then strip in - gives the fly action. For surface, you might start elk hair caddis, adams. That's my quick $.02. Keep at it and talk to your local fly shop. Outdoor Emporium in Seattle has flies for $.75 each.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nick: Are you fishing from shore, or do you have a boat? If you don't have a boat, save up your money for a float tube and fins (you'll need waders too, unless you're really brave). You can get a tube and fins from Cabela's for $79.99. Also, you'd be wise to invest in a good fly fishing book. "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide" is the one I used to learn the ropes when I was about your age, but there are plenty out there. The flies mentioned in a previous post are good suggestions. I don't know where Maltby, Washington is -- forgive my geographical ignorance of the state -- but if it's within driving distance of Seattle and you've got wheels, I'd be happy to show you some basics and get you into a fish or two at one of the local fisheries (Rattlesnake Lake, Snoqualmie Forks, etc.) if you want to meet up sometime. Good luck, and read all you can about the subject, and keep working at it. You'll catch fish.

·
Registered
789 Posts
A couple of generic surface patterns that will usually get you into some fish if there is surface activity. First, is very (size 18 - 20) small white fly or almost silver fly (pale morning duns, white cahills, etc). Fish these early in the morning. In the evening, switch to a small (size 14 - 18) gray, ostrich, or black and white fly (adams, griffiths gnat, mosquito). Fish these to rising fish.

For generic underwater patterns, use an olive and black or all black bugger. You can troll these. For nymphs, a pheasant tail, hare's ear, or prince nymph can work. Try to judge the depth of the lake in certain sections and try to keep your fly within 2 feet of the bottom. (Use a sinking line, cast out 30 feet and watch your line as it sinks, you'll see a V develop. Count the number of seconds until the V stops. Reel in, cast out again, and count to within 1 - 2 seconds of where it stopped before). This will get you close to the bottom. You'll have to repeat this for different parts of the lake). 90% of the fish are generally within two feet of the top or the bottom. If you're in between, you're not going to catch much. If there is vegetation on the bottom, you can kind of treat the top of the vegetation like the bottom of the lake.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.