Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New guy to forums. Had a chance to try fly fishing couple weeks ago and I'm utterly infatuated now. Picked up some decent gear and I'm ready. Been a baitcaster for bass back in Chicago but figured this is the place to learn fly fishing.

Looking for some advice on where to fish and what to target this time of year. I have no idea, just want to wet a line. I picked up a 6wt Sage VXP on sale at Cabela's. I'll be grabbing a heavier salmon rig at some point. Figured a 6 would make a good all around multi species setup to get me started.

Not looking for any honey holes but known public areas to fling some flies this time of year. Willing to drive a couple hours for some good waters. I live in Gig Harbor. Thanks.

- Augs

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Go find a local fly shop. Buy a few flies there, some tippet and leaders, spend a little cash. Then ask as to where the good fishing is at and what is open. You would be surprised as to what that will bring you.

Edit: And welcome to the best fly fishing site on the web, hands down.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Augs,

As far as rivers go in the near vicinity not much really going on unless you are a die hard steelhead guy and like more disappointment than success. The Yakima is open year around but winter fishing is primarily an indicator and nymph fishery which is a tough way to break into fly fishing without some guidance. There are quite a few year around lakes but you would need a floating device to fish them. As said previously there is the salt and by the reports the guys have been doing quite well. Check out the salt water forum and maybe if you PM a couple of the guys there and bribe them with libation and lunch you could find a mentor.

This is not a prime time to break into fly fishing but there is fishing to be had. The Worley Bugger fly shop has been offering some pretty good deals on guide trips on the Yak, and maybe Derek Young can come up with something for you as he too is a well reputed guide on that system.

Dave

·
Fish Fiend
203 Posts
My advice is to stop shopping at Cabelas for fly fishing gear. Even if you're paying more money for gear, you'll get more value in knowledge from a local fly shop. In my experience, you help the fly shop and they help you. Gig Harbor fly shop also hosts classes from time to time; I would call them and sign up for a class or go with one of their associated guides.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Wander those Gig Harbor beaches and then wander more. Sea Run Cutthroat Trout are a treasure. As you find more and have fun, explore further to include areas where cobble is under your feet and where tiny blue lines drain into large blue buckets.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Got a great fly shop right in your town; go see 'em. That salt chuck behind their shop is a fun place to fish. Some kind of floaty thing can help (oh - the fly shop has those as well).... SRC are incredibly beautiful, they fight hard and their environment is awesome.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hey I have a 6 VXP too and it is a great rod for larger flies, wind, bigger water. Good choice and a great rod for sea runs on the beach. It might be enough for bass flies too. Have fun.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Hello everyone. New guy to forums. Had a chance to try fly fishing couple weeks ago and I'm utterly infatuated now. Picked up some decent gear and I'm ready. Been a baitcaster for bass back in Chicago but figured this is the place to learn fly fishing.

Looking for some advice on where to fish and what to target this time of year. I have no idea, just want to wet a line. I picked up a 6wt Sage VXP on sale at Cabela's. I'll be grabbing a heavier salmon rig at some point. Figured a 6 would make a good all around multi species setup to get me started.

Not looking for any honey holes but known public areas to fling some flies this time of year. Willing to drive a couple hours for some good waters. I live in Gig Harbor. Thanks.

- Augs
Where in Gig Harbor? Unfortunately it's like saying you live in Seattle. What a lot of people don't realize a lot of the beaches in GH are private.

Where in GH will help. It's a big place actually, especially if you're on the KP.

Reactions: Augy

·
2004 - 2022
4,947 Posts
My advice is to stop shopping at Cabelas for fly fishing gear. Even if you're paying more money for gear, you'll get more value in knowledge from a local fly shop. In my experience, you help the fly shop and they help you. Gig Harbor fly shop also hosts classes from time to time; I would call them and sign up for a class or go with one of their associated guides.
This is great advice!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone. I stopped by GHFS last night as many have suggested. Dave from GHFS even PM'd me to stop by the shop and say hello, which was much appreciated. I talked with Jacob at the shop last night and he hooked me up with some flies, gave me a few pointers and directed me to couple local areas to try this time of year. Picked up a cool hat too.

I'll try a few places and hopefully report back with some fish! Wish me luck!

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
@Augy Welcome! Do some searching on these Saltwater forum pages for information on sea run cutthroat fishing, flies, access, etc. It would take along time to read it all. Lots of good stuff here. You have many good options for saltwater fishing.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone. I stopped by GHFS last night as many have suggested. Dave from GHFS even PM'd me to stop by the shop and say hello, which was much appreciated. I talked with Jacob at the shop last night and he hooked me up with some flies, gave me a few pointers and directed me to couple local areas to try this time of year. Picked up a cool hat too.

I'll try a few places and hopefully report back with some fish! Wish me luck!
Good luck, man! The skipping Cabela's and going to a real fly shop is the ticket. Local flyshops are keyed in on local fisheries. Cabela's doesn't offer that.

Reactions: Augy

·
Registered
397 Posts
As a number of others have stated, start working on relationships with local fly shops. They can be fountains of information on locations, gear, and regs. While they can be more expensive at times, I've found they generally offer access to more of the gear that I want. Also, I can tell you how many times my local shop has cut me a deal on this or that, because they come to know me as a good customer.

Aside from that, grab your gear and get out and fish. You're going to find some good spots and not so good spots but it's all good experience. Make some friends on here and go fishing with them. Folks on here aren't likely to tell you about their honey holes but if you're invested enough in them to meet up and go fishing they'll probably end up doing better by showing you some of their favorite spots. Basically, if you see some fishy looking water, make sure it's open, and fish it.

Welcome to WA and good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for the encouragement. Good to know I'm in good hands here.

Got out Tuesday and Wednesday. Fished both days in balmy 35° from 2-4:30pm. Skunked on Tuesday and yesterday I got incredibly excited as I hooked into a fish. Pulled the camera out and as the fish broke surface, this guy pops out. Not exactly what I had envisioned for my first glorious saltwater fish on the fly. LOL

The mighty SRC still eludes me, but on a side note, I learned something valuable yesterday. I had constant 15 mph gusts blowing onto my casting shoulder. On one of my casts, the back swing was short and as I swung forward, the fly whipped around and smacked me on my left cheek. On my face! Not my ass! I thought for sure the hook was embedded but luckily only the very tip managed to barely pierce the skin. Lesson learned! Don't f**k with the wind. Watched several videos on how to combat wind since and picked up few techniques to try out.

It was cold but gorgeous with the sun out. I'm just glad to be back fishing. Fly fishing has rescued me from a collapse of interest in all things fishing for a long time. It's good to have the itch back.

As the sun set, everything calmed downed and became quiet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.