Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ! My names will I'm 19 and new to the thread and Washington, I moved out here in January from New Jersey and have just now gotten a new fly rod and am getting on the water. I'm living in Olympia and I was just looking for any information help me get on some fish. It's just me I only fish barbless and tie my own flie. Any fly patterns to try aswell. I have already found some small steel head and cut throats off a creek from capital lake but looking to catch some fish of real size. Creeks rivers stream ideal. (Any spot can be kept secret;)) can't wait to catch a salmon any thing helps .

Thank a lot in adavance
N Good luck

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
Hey all ! My names will I'm 19 and new to the thread and Washington, I moved out here in January from New Jersey and have just now gotten a new fly rod and am getting on the water. I'm living in Olympia and I was just looking for any information help me get on some fish. It's just me I only fish barbless and tie my own flie. Any fly patterns to try aswell. I have already found some small steel head and cut throats off a creek from capital lake but looking to catch some fish of real size. Creeks rivers stream ideal. (Any spot can be kept secret;)) can't wait to catch a salmon any thing helps .

Thank a lot in adavance
N Good luck
Steelhead is one word and so is Cutthroat. Welcome to the site. Skinny waters are not open as of yet but a few of them are. Get a copy of the regs and scan through them. Lots of info in them. Do you have wheels to get around with or are you just school age.

· previously micro brew
4,660 Posts
If you are talking about Percival Creek, are you sure that it is even open?

With that said, there are a lot of opportunities in the Oly area. There are some lakes that get a good number of plants and there are some creeks on the way to the ocean. Then, you always have the salt. I would just start exploring. A water craft of some type will certainly help.

MB

· Registered
2,316 Posts

Thank a lot in adavance
N Good luck
Welcome to Washington and WFF. Where in NJ are you from? I am originally from Cranford (Exit 136 on Garden State Parkway).

· Registered
1,740 Posts
If you're in Oly, there's some good beach access nearby for cutthroat and resident coho. Those aren't huge fish, but they pull like they are. The Deschutes is open year-round (above Pioneer Park) and offers lots of standard size cutts. If you want to catch a big fish, head south and try the Cowlitz or the Kalama. No guarantees, but your odds there are better than anywhere else that's open now. Options increase a lot after the June river snd stream opener.

· Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,562 Posts

Thank a lot in adavance
N Good luck
I one time ask Michael Martin where to fish in that area his respond was grab a map/google the area have Reg's in hand

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steelhead is one word and so is Cutthroat. Welcome to the site. Skinny waters are not open as of yet but a few of them are. Get a copy of the regs and scan through them. Lots of info in them. Do you have wheels to get around with or are you just school age.
i have my own car distance is not real problem just have to plan trips accordingly.

· Registered
4,664 Posts
Best additional advice is to read the many forums on this site thoroughly. You will find that there are few who will give you actual locations but rather, general information. South Sound Fly Fishers is also a good place to hit. They have some active members who fish often. Definitely get some regs. They are free and the game wardens show no humor when it comes to fishing illegally. Be sure to make sure of where you are before you fish as the regs can be confusing and they change for emergency closures often.

As for big fish, tuna are great as long as you have the cash to pay for a trip. But as mentioned by Nick, they would tear that 9 wt. to pieces. The rod of choice should be a 12 wt. or bigger with a hefty reel, big drag, and about 400 yards of backing. Steelhead and Salmon can be sought on the Cowlitz and Kalama rivers, south of you. You 9 wt. will work there. And there are many lakes in your area; they open this weekend. Check the regs.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
i have a nine weight and would crush stripped bass in the New Jersey springs and fall but the runs have gotten worse and worse.
That 9 wt would be perfect for surf fishing and you're not too far from the beach in Olympia. Unfortunately we don't have stripers, bluefish, false albacore, etc.... crashing bait in the surf but we do have surfperch. They may not be real big but they are a lot of fun and put up a good tussle for their size. Hit up @Randall Clark for details. He'll deny having them dialed but he's lying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.