Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still working on my ultimate crayfish pattern.

I changed the hook from a 4x long streamer to a jig worm style hook. The rest is essentially the same, just a woolly bugger with a cut out chammie laid over the top. I did figure a new way to make a template to speed up the chammie process. Still takes time to cut to shape...

rides hook up. casts fairly well on a 6 weight

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Nice tie. Brad. Do you also mark up the bottom side? From the top, it is very realistic, but unless the fish is above the fly, it is more likely to have a bottom view.

Steve

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Brad, saw that one just a moment ago in the gallery. Tasty!

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cabezon:

Good point...I don't mark up the underside but maybe I should? I'm working on a template that allows me to spray paint the outline and markings with latex paint on the chammie. That speeds up production alot. Its not all that complicated once the top cutout is ready.

It's my theory that crayfish are often overlooked as food source by fly fishermen, and the success of the woolly bugger is at least in part due to its crayfishy-ness

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cabezon brings up a good point, and with that thought would you want to change the colors to better represent the underside of the body like it would be tumbling/drirting back to the bottom?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Wouldn't a fish looking up while the bug is sinking only see a silhouette? I think the woolly bugger underbody is plenty good enough. Great tie!

Do you fish it off a floating line?

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Troutpocket:

Keep in mind that I'm fishing this pattern for largemouth bass....I have had extremely good luck with a sinking line, casting toward cover and crawling or jigging the retrieve back. I keep the rod tip pointed at the fly and the line barely taught..that way I can feel when the bass sucks it in, Then zowie I set the hook! Attached pic shows one I fooled in exactly this manner.

I have not used this pattern for trout much. I tried it on the Cedar (no luck) and the upper Yakima ( no luck) but I don't think my presentation was getting the fly down enough.

The underside looks an awful lot like the underside of a crayfish as is...

-Brad

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Troutpocket, if you were fishing in bright sunshine, a fish lurking below the fly would likely see only a dark silhouette against the light background. But in the shade or with overcast, the bottom side should be visible.

Steve

P.S., I've often wondered if the wanton readiness of Rocky Ford rainbows to smack a wooly bugger or leach pattern at night (after turning up their noses to flies with the correct number of legs, tails, and %*(%*$holes reflects how important a food item crayfish are for fish that have been snacking on tiny tricos during the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.